PDA

View Full Version : TV stand (kind of)

Nissim Avrahami
06-08-2006, 4:34 PM
Good day

The unit was designed by my wife (as usual), 3 separate units, each 3’ (1 meter), so it can be “re-positioned”.

Oak, 1” thick.
Finish, Nitro-lacquer, they use it here for floors because of its durability and fast drying (10~15 minutes), interestingly, it does not leave any brush marks but stinks like hell during application.

I attached 2 general pictures and 3 close-ups so you can see all my “Fashla’s” (Arabic, mistakes, goof-ups or failures), but its allowed to amateurs.

Regards
niki

glenn bradley
06-08-2006, 4:37 PM
Nicely done! I like the wide rails and stiles on the doors. It gives the unit a sense of heft and ties together with the drawer size. I wish I had an eye like that for dimension and scale.

Tyler Howell
06-08-2006, 4:41 PM
Nissim,
All your gizmo, jig and modification postings have been fun, but this is the the proof of all your efforts.
Well done.:cool:
Thanks for sharing.

Nissim Avrahami
06-08-2006, 4:52 PM
Thank you so much Glenn and Tyler

Glenn
I would wish to have such an eye too but…

I build all my units in the method of “Lets kill a turkish and rest”, which means, my wife makes a general drawing and I build the carcasses. After that she decides about doors and drawers.
I had to cut 3 different widths of door frame (from cardboard) and she decides with which one to go.
I never have “cutting list” from the beginning.

niki

Ryan Ricks
06-08-2006, 4:58 PM
Very nice piece. I like the size - nice proportions.

I'm going to remember "fashla" - I will try to convince my wife that it adds character to the piece, as in "look at all the fashla's on this piece!"

-Ryan

<edited for spelling>

Bob Childress
06-08-2006, 5:19 PM
Niki,

That is a very impressive set and no "fashla's" worth worrying about. On the contrary, it has great proportion and style. Great workmanship. Appreciate the chance to see it.:)

Neil Lamens
06-08-2006, 6:24 PM
I bet you and your wifes' design approach is familiar to alot of us out here.
Nicely done.

Nissim Avrahami
06-08-2006, 6:29 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind replies.

niki

John Buzzurro
06-08-2006, 6:47 PM
Niki,

Nicely done. What type of wood is it? I'm having trouble telling from the photos.

Nissim Avrahami
06-08-2006, 6:57 PM
Thank you John

Its Oak, maybe a little bit different than the American (I’m in Poland).

niki

Jim Becker
06-08-2006, 8:55 PM
That's a beautiful setup, Nissim!

Vaughn McMillan
06-08-2006, 9:15 PM
Niki, no matter how hard I try, I can't find any fashlas in the pics. Nor can I find any errors, slip-ups, boo-boos, goofs, snafus, bugs, undocumented "features", or Vaughnisms. ;)

Great-looking furniture, and as Tyler mentioned, it's nice seeing the results of some of your handy shop jigs and gadgets.

- Vaughn

Dave Carey
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Nissim,
Sure looks fashla free (or is it fashla-less) to me! My wife often helps with design too but usually after it's built (as in why didn't you ....) Well done.

Dave Walker
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
You and your wife make a great team there, Nissim. Well done, the furniture looks great.

John Timberlake
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't see and Fashlas. Just good design and execution. The finish turned out great. Your wife should love, but of course she designed it. Keep up the good work.

Roy Wall
06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
looks great niki!

I like the fact they are separate.......makes them much more adaptable to any room......and a lot easier to move!!!

You've don a terrific job!!

ps. Nice job on all the "jig" posts you do........:)

Nissim Avrahami
06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Thank you all for the warm replies

Dave Carey
My wife has to sign on the design so later she cannot say, “why didn’t you…

Roy Wall
“…and a lot easier to move…”, is the firs point, at the age of 61…

Thanks again
niki

John Stevens
06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
It's funny how the person who makes something sees all the mistakes, no matter how unnoticeable to others. I used to feel very disappointed after completing projects because all I could see were the mistakes. But I was lucky to meet a man who shared some wisdom about small mistakes in woodworking and carpentry.

He used to say, "anyone who sees that mistake deserves to see it." Meaning two things, I think. First, people with a keen eye for detail have earned the privilege to be critical of small mistakes. Second, people who go through life looking for every little fault deserve the constant dissatisfaction they'll find.

That little bit of wisdom has made my woodworking more satisfying...even though the quality of my pieces hasn't improved ;)