PDA

View Full Version : Color mixed with Target Coatings?

Allen Bookout
06-08-2006, 4:05 PM
I need to finish some exterior cabinets. I have used two part polyurethane automotive paints for this application and have had very good luck. I want to try a water based solution, if there is any, to get away from the bad fumes and hard to remove overspray. Can the tints listed be mixed thick enough in either the lacquer or polyurethane to make it like a painted surface? Need to use white.

Called Target but no one there today to give me an answer.

Thanks! Allen

Jamie Buxton
06-08-2006, 8:32 PM
I don't know what "tints listed" you're thinking about, but I've made opaque paint from Target's EM8000 varnish by adding universal colorant, and it works like a champ. Universal colorants are like the pigments the guy at the paint store squirts into the latex paint to make custom-colored wall paint. As I understand it, universal colorants are pigments carried in ethelyne glycol, which can mix with water-borne paints or with most solvent-based paints -- hence the name universal. Many real paint stores carry universal colorants in one-quart bottles because some pro painters like to tweak the colors in the paint they buy.

David Eisenhauer
06-08-2006, 8:50 PM
You called the right place, too bad no one answered. I haven't done what you want to do, but I've read postings on their forum that describe just what you want to do. Best of luck.

Allen Bookout
06-08-2006, 9:09 PM
Jamie,

Good information. I guess that varnish would be the correct choice for exterior applications. I am glad to know that they can be mixed with universal coolorants and work well. How long does the EM8000 stay tacky?

Here is the page where Target is talking about their tints but it soulds like they are talking about using them to make stains which is not my purpose.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/pigments/fluidacrylic_tech.html

David,

Actually a very nice person answered the phone but did not have any knowledge about the products as far as what I wanted to do and she said that Jeff was held up at a meeting. I will have a look through their forum. Thanks!

Thanks! Allen

Jim Becker
06-08-2006, 9:16 PM
Target USL is tintable to just about any color you need. Target can do it for you or you can go to Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. Do note that this is not an exterior rated product.

Allen Bookout
06-08-2006, 9:57 PM
Do note that this is not an exterior rated product.
Thanks Jim, I guess that I will have to give up on water based finishes for this project in that case. Allen

Jamie Buxton
06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Target USL is tintable to just about any color you need. Target can do it for you or you can go to Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. Do note that this is not an exterior rated product.

EM8000 was the Target product I mentioned, and their site says "EM8000 Conversion Varnish can be used on store fixtures, fine furniture, interior/exterior architectural trim..."

Allen Bookout
06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Jamie, You are right. Also listed under interior/exterior is the EM9300 urethane but when I read about it under it's own heading it does not actually spell that out as does the EM8000. I am going to see if I can get hold of the Target people tomorrow and if the varnish will dry to the touch in a reasonable time period and a decent recoat time I think that I will give it a shot. They are my cabinets so if they do not hold up I can blame myself.

Jamie Buxton
06-09-2006, 1:03 AM
Allen, I spray EM8000 with an HLVP gun. It is typically ready for the next coat in ten minutes or so. If it needs sanding, I may let it cure a little longer.

Allen Bookout
06-09-2006, 1:09 AM
Allen, I spray EM8000 with an HLVP gun. It is typically ready for the next coat in ten minutes or so. If it needs sanding, I may let it cure a little longer.

Great news!!!! Thanks! Allen