PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be back in the U.S.A.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-08-2006, 3:38 PM
Good afternoon all:

After spending some three hours brousing through twenty plus pages of posts here on the Creek. I can tell you all have been very productive, inovative and have made some downright fabulous things while I was out of touch. Rather than commenting one each one individually, Congrats to you all on the find workmenship.

Without meaning to be demeaning to any of the countries I visited during the last twelve days, I can say, without ANY doubts, "IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AMERICAN AND LIVE IN THE U.S.A.!" I was told of income taxes in the range of 40 - 60%. Taxes on automobiles of 150% (Just so you don't get this one wrong; a car costing $15,000 has an additional Sales Tax of $22,500.00). Housing cost three to four times as high as here. Food costing two to three times as much. Fuel cost of an equivilant of $10.00 per gallon. Granted, they get almost free medical and free schooling through college.

On the plus side, there are hundreds of years of culture to see and study. I was able to bring home a small piece of Black Willow that I got at an outdoor museum of fourteenth and fifteenth century buildings. It was headed for a fire, when I rescued it.

Keeping in mind that we were limited to tourist type areas, the people were generally friendly and when even when we were off on our own, were able to get directions, etc. quite easily, from the friendly citizens. (Stayed away from Micky D's, KFC, and other common US franchises. Note for investors: The locals were swarming them!

Took a lot of pictures. Will post some here that pertain to woodworking, when I get back to Illinois. We're spending a couple of days getting over the 26 hour awake trip from the ship to Philly. (Got up at 5:00 GMT to get ready to leave the ship. 3 hours later we debark. After a two and one half hour bus ride to Heathrow, we sit there for a 4:00 pm takeoff. A 7 hour flight gets us to Newark airport at 6:40 EST. Due to bad weather in the Northeast, our transportation to Philly doesn't arrive till 10:15 and we get back into town at 11:30. To bed at midnight! For those adding up the time, you have to adjust out wakeup time to 10.00 pm on the 7th to allow for the seven hour time difference between GMT and EST. Yesterday WAS A LONG DAY! Recuperating today and fighting a little head cold I picked up the last couple of days on the trip.

A little tired now, so I'll see YA ALL later.

Bruce;)

Mark Cothren
06-08-2006, 4:56 PM
Welcome back, Bruce!

Jason Roehl
06-08-2006, 5:22 PM
Just one question, Bruce. How does a tax of 150% on $15,000 equal $45,000? Don't you mean $22,500, for a total car price of $37,500? (Still "highway" robbery, IMHO).

Welcome back either way. I have lived outside the USA for a total of 4 years in my life, and while I wouldn't mind visiting a few places again and some new ones, Lord willing, I would always get to come back here. It's home.

Jason

Christopher K. Hartley
06-08-2006, 7:49 PM
Glad you're back and safe. We missed you!:)

Tyler Howell
06-08-2006, 7:55 PM
There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.:)

I learn so much when ever I travel and I'm so glad to come home again.

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2006, 8:25 PM
Welcome back Bruce, good to see you had a nice trip!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
06-08-2006, 9:22 PM
Welcome back...I'm sure you posted it before, but where'd you go, Bruce?

- Vaughn

Steve Ash
06-08-2006, 9:26 PM
Glad you made it back safe and sound Bruce, bet you are anxious to get back in the shop?

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Bruce welcome back. Missed your post. Good to be though.

Barry Stratton
06-09-2006, 3:46 AM
"IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AMERICAN AND LIVE IN THE U.S.A.!"

Something tells me you already knew that before the trip:D

good to have you back, missed your posts!

Bob Noles
06-09-2006, 5:54 AM
Good to have you back Bruce

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-09-2006, 9:13 AM
Morning:

You're right, Vaughn. I did mention it, but we spent 5 days in Philly, flew out of Newark, NJ to Heathrow, UK, caught a Royal Caaribean cruise ship at Harwick, UK; Sailed to and spent about a day each in Oslo, Norway; Copenhagen, Denmark; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; two days in Saint Petersburg, Russia, and one more in Tallin, Estonia; before returning to England and flying back home. We're going to drive back to Illinois on Sunday.

Since I couldn't even take a penknife with me, Steve, I have been having withdrawel symptoms. A friend of my SIL left me a piece of Maple Burl about a foot in diameter - Still green. He's a tree surgeon. I'll get my first try at one.

I have a question for whoever knows. Right as I was leaving, there was to be something of a stealth gifting. Didn't see anything about it. Wondered what I missed!

Bruce

John Timberlake
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Welcome back. Missed your postings.

Keith Burns
06-09-2006, 4:30 PM
Welcome back Bruce ! Joe Tonich was one reciepient but there is another one in progress. Check with Andy "Mayo Man" for details.

Travis Stinson
06-09-2006, 5:35 PM
Welcome home Bruce. Glad you had a fun/safe trip.:)

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2006, 9:01 PM
Glad to have you back safe and sound Bruce.

Ernie