PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworking things to see or buy in Cozumel?

Doyle Alley
06-08-2006, 3:15 PM
My wife and I decided to take advantage of a last-minute cruise special and do a 4 night cruise next week. We'll have about 6 or 8 hours in Cozumel. Is there anything there of a woodworking nature that I should see?

Keith Webster
06-08-2006, 5:20 PM
Go see the light house on the southeast side of the island. I not for sure if you are still able to walk to the top for free but several years ago you could. Also travel the road on the east side. That is the Atlantic side and the best to see. You also will want to stop at a few little bars on the way. Oh...and also...if you can rent a jeep... do it......do not rent the little scooters.....those people drive like maniacs over there and will tailgate you. Not fun getting tailgated while on a scooter!!!

Robert Waddell
06-08-2006, 5:41 PM
It's been years since I've been there but I don't remember much wood. There were a few large trees because I remember seeing some guys cutting up a fallen tree with machette's. The houses were made of either brick or small sticks tied together so there's not an abundance of wood. We went to the east coast and then to the southern tip. There's some great beaches and a lagune on the southern side worth seeing if hurricanes haven't destroyed everything. Have fun.
Rob

Peter Mc Mahon
06-08-2006, 6:30 PM
I was there back in April. I didn't see any houses made of small sticks tied together, pretty much just houses like we have here. I did not see anything that was woodworking related. There was very heavy damage from the hurricanes last year. Renting a jeep is a good idea. It will probably cost you around 100 for the day. Steer clear of the guys offering the jeep for 10 a day. Snorkeling is awesome. If you are into it just bring your own mask and snorkel and do not sign up on the ship do go on the snorkeling trip. When you are in town just walk to the public beach and go in there. Save yourself 80 a person. XX is a pretty decent beer. Peter

Frank Fusco
06-08-2006, 7:38 PM
I don't recall seeing any. Do remember thinking that the locals were missing out by not selling carvings from ironwood. There is a lot of cheap silver. The big item there is jewelry made from coral.

Steve Ash
06-08-2006, 9:19 PM
My wife and I were there around Christmas/New years of this year. The place is pretty tore up from the hurricane last year. I had pictures of the coastline but must have deleted them. All the palm trees were pretty much shredded, buildings were damaged, re rod poking out of the structure in places. We took a glass bottom boat tour and the reef structure was almost non existent from the damage as well.

We found lots of shops selling silver, swim suits, souvenir t-shirts etc., but I never saw anything related to woodworking while I was there except for the magazines I brought with me to read on the ship.

Byron Trantham
06-09-2006, 7:47 AM
Bragin', bragin', bragin'......;)

Larry Conely
06-09-2006, 9:37 AM
We spent a week there a couple years ago and my impression was that it is a giant tourist trap. Renting a Jeep (or a bicycle) for a day is a good idea, you can easily see everything in a day. Snorkling is great and fishing is great. Crew members on the boats will clean the fish for a tip. Many of the restaurants will cook your catch for you, a noteworthy vacation experience.

Larry

Doyle Alley
06-09-2006, 9:56 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't think there was anything of woodworking value there, but I wanted to make sure. In other places in Mexico, there are the local wood carvings but Cozumel doesn't seem to have them. As far as fishing, diving, & beaches go - I've got all of those right here. It's one of the perks of living in vacation land (for which we pay dearly in increased cost of living). To me, the cruise is just a way to relax and see how much food I can stuff into one stomach. The short island stopovers are not really a "destination".