PDA

View Full Version : Plane protection

Jay Knoll
06-08-2006, 2:57 PM
Hi everyone

I'm taking off for the summer and will be leaving my LNs in a drawer in the garage in Fl. I had a bit of a rust problem last year guess I didn't oil them enough before I left. So, I'm wondering if I would be going over the top if I sprayed each one with Boeshield, wrapped them in wax paper. I bought some bullfrog rust preventative strips that I have arrayed in the drawer.

Thanks for your advice

Jay

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
06-08-2006, 3:20 PM
How about some Silica Gel, too? (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53828&cat=1,43326)

Alan DuBoff
06-08-2006, 4:00 PM
Jay,

Not sure about the wax paper, but the Boeshield T9 should take care of you. Sounds like you've done what is needed. I find that T9 is all that is needed out here on the west coast, but you have more humidity (and can keep it :p) than we do out here.

The bullfrog strips sound like an un-needed expense to me. ;)

Brett Baldwin
06-08-2006, 4:03 PM
I doubt you could go too far really down there (except maybe submerging them in oil). I'd go ahead and try it. Deidre's suggestion of a dessicant doesn't sound like a bad plan either. BTW, if you happen to run into Don or Gladys Baldwin around town, say "Hi" from their grandson.

Dave Anderson NH
06-08-2006, 4:24 PM
The suggestions folks have given you are fine Jay. I would add that if the drawers are steel one, I'd try to find another place to store the planes. Steel drawers can't absorb the humidity changes and if you have high humidity and and a sudden drop in temperature, you will get condensation. Store in a wooden drawer if possible.

I'd also consider bringing the planes in the house for security reasons unless you have someone checking the house and garage regularly.

Tony Sade
06-08-2006, 4:59 PM
How about some Silica Gel, too? (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53828&cat=1,43326)

I have some of the smaller cannisters ("A" on the LV page) in my bench plane drawers and hanging tool cabinet (my shop is in my garage) and find they need to be recharged (reheated) regularly-like every other week. If your shop humidity is as high as I suspect, I doubt these are going to do you much good over an entire summer, unless your housesitter is willing to renew them on a regular basis. I can't imagine them lasting the entire summer.

Matthew Dworman
06-08-2006, 8:45 PM
Also check out www.barrelguard.com (http://www.barrelguard.com) for VCI rust preventative products.

Doug Shepard
06-08-2006, 8:53 PM
It's probably only slightly less humid here in MI than FL, but I've had pretty good results using Top-Coat, then stuffing them into those chemically treated plane sacks. Then I wrap them back up in the original LN paper and store them in the LN box they came in. I had some real minor corrosion on one plane a couple years ago that came off with just light steel wool rubbing, but that's been working pretty good for me.

Clinton Findlay
06-08-2006, 9:28 PM
I just use a lanolin based spray, Lanotec is the name used over here. Using the spray and storing in a wooden chest has beaten both tropical humidity and my tool-rusting, sweaty hands :rolleyes: .

A friend uses "Silverglide", a silicone free machine table lubricant. This is like a silver wax that is rubbed on and left to dry before rubbing off. It leaves a "galvinised surface" that prevents rust and acts as a dry lubricant as well. Some people don't like the "gal" look on their tools, but I guess its better than rust! The wax needs renewing periodically, and can be totally removed with a bit of hard work and a rag, or a buffing wheel.

It is just a little annoying to come home to find that you have rusty planes and rusted fingerprints on your favourite chisels isn't it? :mad:

Frank Chaffee
06-08-2006, 9:49 PM
Jay,
I never throw away silica gel packets packed with stuff I order, and what with the link Deirdre offers to Lee Valley’s easily renewable desiccants, you otta be set. Planes and gel in a drawer whose top is sealed with modern high tensile sticky wrap and you will have no problem.

So last year was France with some nautical travel IIRC’ly; where will it be this year???

Hoping you post a thread w/ your itinerary,
Frank

Jay Knoll
06-09-2006, 2:52 PM
Don't have time to order anything since I"m leaving on Thursday and I've got LOTS of other stuff to do other than put tools to bed. So, Bosheild it is, I wrapped them in wax paper just to keep a thick film on the surface of everything (I also did that to my bandsaw table and jointer bed) , I've got a couple of soxs and the rest of the planes are in their boxes.

Yes, it is a wood drawer so I don't have to worry about condensation. We shutter up the house and garage and lock down the garage door with hurricane struts, double lock the access door so hopefully all will be well.

Yes, we are off to France again this year on our little canal boat. Will post when we have a chance, internet access was a bit spotty last year.

A bientot!

Jay

William Daly
06-09-2006, 3:56 PM
There are these things called "PLANE SOCKS". They are sold by LN and Highland Hardware. They are silicone impreganated fabric in the shape of a sock and come in varying lengths.

They were made for guns, but since guns and planes are both made of rustable metal, the manufacturer decided to make some up for planes. They cost about $10 each.

When ordering tehm, order the next size up. With larger planes you need to strectch the fabric and the extra material on a larger sock is nice to have.

Jay Knoll
06-09-2006, 4:12 PM
Bill

Yeah, I have two of them, the planes that were in them didn't fare any better last year than the ones I left in the original cardboard box. Maybe that was because I used Camilla (sp?) Oil instead of some thing a bit more heavy duty. I'll let you know how I fared this summer.

Jay

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
06-09-2006, 4:42 PM
I only use my plane socks for transporting my planes in my tool bag, not for long-term storage (except for my Record #4, which lives in my tool bag). I'm glad to know I didn't put too much faith in them. :)

tod evans
06-09-2006, 4:55 PM
guaranteed no rust; remove the wood and submerge the metal in used motor oil, remove when you return....02 tod

Brian Hale
06-09-2006, 7:27 PM
Put a light coat of oil on each and put each one in a Ziplock baggie with a couple cups of rice. Squeeze out as much air as you can and seal the bag.

Brian :)

philip marcou
06-10-2006, 3:37 AM
Sorry, can't resist -have you the time to knock up a few cases?:)

Jay Knoll
06-10-2006, 7:59 AM
Phil

LOL, no but if you want to loan me a few and FedEx them to me I'm sure that they would appreciate the shrine like accomodations

Jay

Ian Smith
06-11-2006, 8:41 AM
I live only about 150 metres from the ocean and so salt air is a real problem when it comes to corrosion of hand planes. I have several Lie-Nielsen planes and to protect them I wipe a thin film of light machine oil over them and then place them in plane socks and then place them in the boxes they came in. This has worked fine so far.

Regards,
Ian.

John Miliunas
06-11-2006, 9:13 AM
I live only about 150 metres from the ocean and so salt air is a real problem when it comes to corrosion of hand planes. I have several Lie-Nielsen planes and to protect them I wipe a thin film of light machine oil over them and then place them in plane socks and then place them in the boxes they came in. This has worked fine so far.

Regards,
Ian.

Jay, you've already gotten any/all suggestions I would've mentioned! So, not trying to steal your thread here, but look, a "new guy"!!! :D Welcome to the Creek, Ian!!! Any guy w/"several LN's" has to have a bit of WW background! :D Hope to hear more from "down under"!!! Stop often, stay long and, don't forget, we love pics!!! :) :cool:

John Miliunas
06-11-2006, 4:32 PM
Jay, after thinking (ouch!:o ) about it for a bit, I do have one other suggestion, which has also worked super for me: Take one of those big 'ol box fans and set it up near the area you're storing your tools. Turn it on "Low" and walk away. Leave it "On" 24/7. The circulation, even of more humid air, really seems to help quite a bit. I've done that for years in both, my shop and garage, where we have pretty stiff temp and humidity swings. An old Harley dude (mechanic extrodinaire!) turned me on to that little tidbit years ago, when at the time, his own "shop" was a real drafty, un-insulated garage, prone to taking on whatever the heat/cold/humidity was outside. His tools and Harleys always looked good! :) :cool:

Ian Smith
06-11-2006, 7:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome John.

Regards,
Ian.

Henry Cavanaugh
06-13-2006, 2:19 PM
Shop in my basement in new England I use a dehumidifer 4 months a year and oil.

jay hanks
06-13-2006, 4:31 PM
The suggestions folks have given you are fine Jay. I would add that if the drawers are steel one, I'd try to find another place to store the planes. Steel drawers can't absorb the humidity changes and if you have high humidity and and a sudden drop in temperature, you will get condensation. Store in a wooden drawer if possible.

I'd also consider bringing the planes in the house for security reasons unless you have someone checking the house and garage regularly.

"Steel drawers can't absorb the humidity changes and if you have high humidity and and a sudden drop in temperature, you will get condensation."
It's Florida Dave there are no sudden temp drops !! :)