PDA

View Full Version : Wood work cost?

Jensen Js
06-08-2006, 1:11 PM
Heya guys,

i would like to enquire,

How much does the carpenter charges for every wodowork done by him?

Isn't it around USD 50 - USD 100 per sq. ft?

I am curious and would to learn more from the experience ones.

Thanks
(if anybody replies)

Mike Parzych
06-08-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

If you mean an hourly rate, in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area I believe the journeyman's rate is something like $28-30 per hour. Millwork shops minimum base rate is at least $40, with higher rates depending on the equipment used for the job. Custom stuff is of course higher, but the total amount varies by the piece.

Tyler Howell
06-08-2006, 1:33 PM
Welcome Jensen,

My price per:

$45.00
$60.00 if you watch
$80.00 if you help

Zahid Naqvi
06-08-2006, 2:06 PM
Welcome Jensen,

My price per:

$45.00
$60.00 if you watch
$80.00 if you help

LOL!!!!:p :p

John Timberlake
06-08-2006, 2:08 PM
It all depends on your goals. If you want to make a living at it, then my estimate in my area is about $50 per hour plus materials, allowing for waste. And assume that you will only do 30 hours of shop time in a 40 hour week. If you want to support a woodworking habit, whatever you think you need.

Matt Tawes
06-08-2006, 3:27 PM
I like Tyler's response the best.:D

tod evans
06-08-2006, 4:47 PM
jensen, here`s the two signs hanging in my shop...tod

Richard Wolf
06-08-2006, 5:02 PM
Okay Jensen, relax, take a deep breath and don't be offended.
1) You should be using your full name on this site.
2) Check your post, and try to get the spelling close.
3) Re-read your question and see if you understand what you are really asking.
The question has no real answer, it is to vague, what kind of carpenter? Framer, trim, finish, cabinet maker, stairbuilder? Most carpenters don't charge per sq. ft.

Richard

P.S. I sure hope your H.S. english teacher isn't on this site.

Norman Hitt
06-08-2006, 5:28 PM
Okay Jensen, relax, take a deep breath and don't be oftended.
1) You should be using your full name on this site.
2) Check your post, and try to get the spelling close.
3) Re-read your question and see if you understand what you are really asking.
The question has no real answer, it is to vague, what kind of carpenter? Framer, trim, finish, cabinet maker, stairbuilder? Most carpenters don't charge per sq. ft.

Richard

P.S. I sure hope your H.S. english teacher isn't on this site.

I wondered if maybe he was asking about "Cabinet Work", and got lineal feet mixed up with square feet, since some do charge by lineal feet for cabinet work.:confused:

Robert Waddell
06-08-2006, 5:31 PM
Based on the broken English and confusing nature of Jensen's post I would say that English is not his primary language. Also the use of "USD" points that direction as well. Just my take on what I read.
Rob

Brian Hale
06-08-2006, 5:58 PM
Based on the broken English and confusing nature of Jensen's post I would say that English is not his primary language. Also the use of "USD" points that direction as well. Just my take on what I read.
Rob

Exactly my thought!

Jensen, we'll need to know what type of "carpentry" work you're referring to. Also, each area of the country has a different labor rate so the actual price a customer sees will vary all over the place. Can you be more specific?

Brian :)

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!!! :D

Richard Wolf
06-08-2006, 7:48 PM
Rob

Yes, like I said, not to be offended, I wasn't trying to be condesending by any means. But it is hard to answer a question that is unclear.
Forgive me if I insulted you, Jensen.

Richard

John Bailey
06-08-2006, 7:55 PM
Jensen,

I'll take a shot at this. By using the term "carpenter" you may be refering to the cost of a house. In that case, $50-$100 per square feet of house could be in the ballpark (excuse the American colloquial), but probably is on the low side. Just my guess.

Where you from?

John

Jim Becker
06-08-2006, 8:27 PM
In that case, $50-$100 per square feet of house could be in the ballpark (excuse the American colloquial), but probably is on the low side.

Yup...if you mean finished price per square foot. It starts at about double that here and on the left coast you can get to over a grand a foot in the nicer areas for building costs.

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2006, 9:24 PM
...on the left coast you can get to over a grand a foot in the nicer areas for building costs.For building costs?!? Maybe for one of Mark Singer's cliff-hanger houses, but $300-400 a foot is pretty much the normal selling price for houses, even here. But I suspect about 25-30% of that is for the dirt underneath it.

("Here" is about 20 miles from Mark's place, BTW...still one of the pricier areas.)

Alan DuBoff
06-08-2006, 11:50 PM
For building costs?!? Maybe for one of Mark Singer's cliff-hanger houses, but $300-400 a foot is pretty much the normal selling price for houses, even here. But I suspect about 25-30% of that is for the dirt underneath it.Things are different in SoCal than they are in NorCal, where up here it's more like 70% of the price is for the dirt underneath it. I think building costs in CA are aprox. $100-$150, and sure you can spend $400, or you could even spend $1000, but that's not the typical for folks to spend building a home. Now, if you're talking about sq.ft. to buy a home, that's completely different because it's got the land price included. If folks are paying $300-$400 sq.ft., there must really be a shortage of trades folks.

Don Baer
06-08-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm selling my house and it's going for around $330/ft^2

:D

I'm building a new house in AZ for $105/ft^2

:D :D

Paying cash for the new one with the proceeds from the old one.

:D :D :D

John Hemenway
06-09-2006, 9:29 AM
We're in a remodel now. It's costing us about $450/sq.ft. Part of the expense is the fact it's an addition. Access to the back yard is tough. Foundation hand dug! We are also in a VERY expensive area. All the tradesmen have to charge a lot to be able to afford to live in the area also.

No, we are not rich! We've just been here a while and home prices have gone nuts. This is good for us as homeowners but really sucks for our children when they try to buy. If we were new to this market, we could not afford the house we live it.

This has drifted OT so I'll stop now...

Lee DeRaud
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
We're in a remodel now. It's costing us about $450/sq.ft. Part of the expense is the fact it's an addition. Access to the back yard is tough. Foundation hand dug!That brings up something else. Remodel/addition work will generally cost more than the same amount of "new" construction: by definition, it's "custom" work and there will usually be additional demolition labor.

Has 'This Old House' ever published actual costs for one of their projects?