PDA

View Full Version : home wardrobes

Jensen Js
06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello there guys,

Do you guys think SU is cartoonish? ( SU - sketchup )

I am currently designing some wardrobes for my friend for their new apartment.
well if you guys need any assistance.

Interested look me up.
Thanks

kind regards,
Jensen
ID/IA

cheers.

Jensen Js
06-08-2006, 1:02 PM
here are some more cartoonish images.

As most corporate design people expressed.

design + 3D illustration dimenstion.

tim rowledge
06-08-2006, 3:24 PM
Do I think SU is cartoonish? Yup, in normal use it is. And I think that is one of its hidden strengths because a cartoonish appearance makes a subtle but strong statement that "this is a sketch" and not a finished thing. I thought this so important that it was a central part of my master's thesis back so long ago that the hottest computers you could buyt were 8bit machine running at 1MHz...
I was at the Royal College of Art, with a load of folks that could do renderings of stunning beauty, whilst I could just barely bo a decent colour sketch. What I noticed was that the beauty and apparent completeness of their renderings hid the major faults in the actual design being presented. 'customers' (the tutors in this case) had a hard time seeing past the apparent solidity. By presenting early ideas in a deliberately sketchy form you can, hopefully, keep people's minds on the problem and not the pretty picture.

Jensen Js
06-12-2006, 8:04 AM
hello Tim,

Thanks for your feedback & what you had in mind to speak out.
I appreciated it.

Yes, a few has express that the cartoonish characteristic of SU brings out SU and makes it strong in character.

Still i have 80% of feedback people around me that thinks its still not to its competitors?

well i've seen marvelous works done, and even received a complimentary CD presentation sample from PAUL MILLER, to show me what SU is far more capable of.
It was so kind of him, as i appreciated it.

Jensen Js
06-12-2006, 8:12 AM
As i've tried to say, many are looking more into Realistic 3D renderings.
Yes, i have no doubth those are "Excellent"... and FAR beyond IMPRESSIVE.

just like a person who is driving a FERRARI and i've using a TOYOTA...

so basically, where should sketchup be position in the rendering / 3D world?

I have no idea... as yet i was discourage by many people...

anyway... have to find a way... SU should be the way...?

Dave Richards
06-12-2006, 8:19 AM
I guess I don't understand what the problem is. SketchUp was designed to be a sketching application, not a CAD application. The guy who came up with the idea for SU wanted an easy to use digital drawing application. So if its output is "cartoonish", so what? It does exactly what its creator wanted and a lot more, too. It doesn't claim to be a CAD application nor does it claim to be a renderer.

It is an excellent tool for woodworkers. After getting the design elements worked out it can be used to make working drawings. All that with a short, easy learning curve. What's to complain about?

Jensen Js
06-12-2006, 8:28 AM
Yes, your right.

Its has been that way.

Dream, Design and Communicate in 3D