PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Hardwoods

Jim Baker
09-10-2003, 9:06 PM
Tomorrow afternoon, we are going down to Harmon Hardwoods just East of Salem Illinois on Route 50 to pick up some lumber. For any of you Southern Illinois Woodworkers who need typical Illinois lumber (Oak, Walnut, Maple, Poplar, etc), mouldings, or solid wood flooring, give Harmon a try. The place is nothing fancy, but dealing with Marty is quite an experience. So far, everything we have gotten there has been top quality.

Martin Shupe
09-10-2003, 9:54 PM
Does he have any wide cherry?

Jim Baker
09-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Does he have any wide cherry?

I can ask him tomorrow. How wide are you looking for?

Martin Shupe
09-11-2003, 1:44 AM
I can ask him tomorrow. How wide are you looking for?

12" or more of heart wood, both sides of the board. Clear is what I prefer, but a small knot or two might be OK, depending on location.

I don't buy anything narrower unless it is quartersawn.

Thanks for asking for me.

Jim Becker
09-11-2003, 9:05 AM
12" or more of heart wood, both sides of the board. Clear is what I prefer, but a small knot or two might be OK, depending on location.

I don't buy anything narrower unless it is quartersawn..

Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com) can help you...cherry is their specialty.

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 5:42 AM

Martin,
Marty doesn't have anything this big. He says it is rare for him.

I do have a coworker (not a woodworker or lumber man, just a farmer/feed salesman with a tree where it couldn't stay) who had to remove a big cherry tree. It was over 22 inches in diameter and very straight. He has over 400 bf of the lumber to sell. I think some of it may meet your description. I'd be happy to ask if you want.

Eric Sanford
09-12-2003, 12:44 PM

Hearne seems to have a great selection and good prices. Has anyone worked with them where it required shipping? What might be a typical range for shipping costs?

Eric

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 9:14 PM
Hearne seems to have a great selection and good prices. Has anyone worked with them where it required shipping? What might be a typical range for shipping costs?

Eric, I've never had them ship to me...'wouldn't want to destroy the "candy store" experience...but it would depend upon how much of what you are ordering and so forth. Small orders can often go via UPS, but over a certain number of board feet is more economical by common carrier. The downside to the latter is that it is difficult and sometimes impossible to get delivery to a residential address with the common carrier for this material. You may need to pick up at the terminal. (That goes for any lumber supplier shipping to you) But as to your question, you might call Hearne to inquire about shipping rates to your zip code.

Martin Shupe
09-13-2003, 1:56 AM
Jim Baker...check you private messages.

Jim and Eric...

I have bought cherry from Groff and Groff, which used to be in business with Hearne. The week I was in town, G and G had the nicest cherry, Hearne just didn't happen to have as good a selection that particular day. G & G went out of their way to explain my shipping options. If you get less than a certain amount, it is better to go UPS. If you get more than a certain amount, or your boards are wide and long, common carrier is the way to go. I ended up buying enough to ship common carrier, and, as I recall, it was about $300 to ship it to TX. No I can't remember how many bd ft I bought, but I remember calculating the average bd ft price and being satisified that I could not have gotten that quality and width of cherry in Texas unless I paid several dollars a bd ft more.

I don't buy my lumber site unseen, but if I see lumber I like, I am not afraid to pay to ship it home.

Sometimes I wish I lived in PA, if only for the close proximity to the best cherry lumber in the world.