PDA

View Full Version : Redwood

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2006, 7:24 PM
Was wondering if anyone had turned Redwood and how does it turn? I have a friend of mine that wants to send me a piece of curly redwood 1 3/4" thick X 11 1/2" wide and 35 5/8" long. He thought I could make some platters or plates from it. Thanks.

Michael Stafford
06-07-2006, 8:10 PM
I have turned pens and some boxes from some redwood burl. It is a little soft and somewhat prone to tearout but sands up nicely. Tends to really soak up the finish.

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2006, 8:17 PM
I did a couple things from redwood (very) early on, mostly because I had a chunk of Home Depot 4x4 sitting in the corner. Note that it was extremely dry wood that had been baking in my garage 6-8 years.

About like turning styrofoam...I have no idea what "real" redwood would be like.

Gary Max
06-07-2006, 8:30 PM
Redwood burl brings a good price for blanks. I turn a few pens out of it.
If John Hart reads this he should have some good tips for you---I know he really likes Redwood.

Barry Stratton
06-07-2006, 8:41 PM
"Free Wood" has got to be as good as "Found Wood".

Curly Redwood you say? I say "Go for it!"

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 8:57 PM
I have turned dry redwood burl and it was pleasant, fragrant and easy to turn. It was also very dusty. Sharp tools are a must for any soft material and this species is no exception.

Earl Eyre
06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Have to agree with what has been said, turns easy, soft, sharp tools, but the burl is absolutely gorgeous. I would take all I can get!
Earl

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2006, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will get some and should be able to get at least 3 platters out of one. Also may turn some and make a clock out of it.

Joe Pelonio
06-08-2006, 3:13 PM
I did a couple things from redwood (very) early on, mostly because I had a chunk of Home Depot 4x4 sitting in the corner. Note that it was extremely dry wood that had been baking in my garage 6-8 years.

About like turning styrofoam...I have no idea what "real" redwood would be like.
Lee, can you still get redwood lumber down there? We used to use it for sandblasted signs, but in the mid 90's switched to cedar after the tree sitting people in N. CA drove the price up and the supply down.

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2006, 3:51 PM
Lee, can you still get redwood lumber down there? We used to use it for sandblasted signs, but in the mid 90's switched to cedar after the tree sitting people in N. CA drove the price up and the supply down.You can, but the last time I checked (looking for deck lumber), anything halfway decent cost almost as much as ipe.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-08-2006, 7:57 PM
Bernie are you sure your lathe is big enough?:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2006, 11:36 PM
As my granddad always said, "no step for a stepper." :p Yea I have seen them. Them is some big trees.