PDA

View Full Version : Tree coming down!

Ed Breen
06-07-2006, 6:41 PM
I have a question for turners. We have a maple in our back yard that is comming down to make room for an addition. When the tree man takes it down what parts should I have put over by my shop? I wont be taking it to the sawyer since I already have four (or five) walnuts waiting there.
In your estimation what would be the most valuable sections for me to turn with (as I learn to turn!)
Thanks one and all
Ed:confused: :confused:

Terry Quiram
06-07-2006, 6:47 PM
Ed

Be sure to keep some of the larger crotchs. You can get some very dramatic figure there.

Terry

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 6:56 PM
Ed

Be sure to keep some of the larger crotchs. You can get some very dramatic figure there.

Terry

I agree with Terry and if it were me I would keep the largest sections of the trunk to cut bowl blanks from. If there are any burls be sure to get those.;)

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 6:57 PM
The lower on the tree, the better. Sometimes, the wood right above the roots is "really" spectacular figure wise, depending on the stresses place on the tree over its life.

Ernie Nyvall
06-07-2006, 6:59 PM
Ed, as well as the crotches, there is sometimes curl in the first few feet of the base. The longer it's been there, the better the chances.

If it were me though, I'd have a hard time getting rid of any of it except the really small limbs. Hey, maybe there are some other turners in your area who would want some of it.

Ernie

Doug Thompson
06-08-2006, 2:05 AM
Stump wood is my favorite by far. I hope this tree was home to a huge family of ambrosia beetles.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-08-2006, 3:28 AM
Stump, crotch, and burl will tend to have a great deal of figure, so save those. Larger branches, if handled carefully, can be saved for boxes, goblets, weed pots, etc. Small branches can make for some good spindle practice. or maybe some small chessmen. The trunk itself can be slabbed out for bowl blanks.

These are the most obvious things that come up with me. Were it me, I'd save the whole thing, but then again my woodpile is woefully lacking.

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2006, 1:13 PM
Ditto what Henry said. My wood pile is getting pretty scarce.:mad:

Ed Breen
06-08-2006, 2:45 PM
Thanks all,
I think I'll have them move the major parts over next to the shop. Since my needs are fairly few, once we see what we have we may be able to have a "grab bag" for any turners who live close, (couple hundred m,iles)
Ed:rolleyes: