PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tried MJ

john whittaker
06-07-2006, 6:33 PM
Anyone have any experience with the MJ Splitter. (microjig.com) It's only used with shop made zero clearance inserts which is all I have. Sounds like a splitter that is easy to insert/remove and therefore something I would use.

I bought their Gripper and think is is a great safety devise. Would appreciate any input with MJ Splitter experience.

All this recent talk about table saw safety has me re-thinking my old habits.....:o

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 6:52 PM
A lot of folks have expressed satisfaction with the MJ Splitters. As long as they are properly aligned, they should, in theory, work great. (You can also do the same thing with a piece of 1/8" thick wood in a slot cut in the table insert)

Bob Reeve
06-07-2006, 6:57 PM
I use the MJ splitter and have been very happy with it. Easy to install and no hassles to use.

Bob

Steve Clardy
06-07-2006, 7:05 PM
Yes. Stays on my saw all the time.
Very happy with it

Vaughn McMillan
06-07-2006, 7:17 PM
Add another to the list of happy MJ splitter users. (I also swear by the Grrrippers, too.) Adding them not only improved the safety of my cuts, but the quality as well. I don't like using blade guards or push sticks, as I feel they introduce their own set of safety issues for the types of cuts I commonly do, so the Grrrippers and MJ splitter are my preferred alternative. No complaints with either accessory whatsoever.

(The usual disclaimer...no affiliation, yada yada yada.)

- Vaughn

Hoa Dinh
06-07-2006, 7:20 PM
What saw do you have?

If it is one that can use a Delta Removable Splitter, I think the Delta is a better choice. You then can use the Delta mounting bracket and make your own splitters out of metal brackets. Oh yes, you can use it with the GRR-Rippers.

I think metal is better than plastic. There have been reports people breaking the feet of the MJ splitter when pushing stuffs on the TS top.

See the photos attached with my posts in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37767).

john whittaker
06-07-2006, 7:25 PM
Thanks for the quick response....

And Vaughn...YOU are the reason I bought my Gripper, and I too am very pleased with it. Very safe & accurate. So a belated "thanks for the advice".

john whittaker
06-07-2006, 7:32 PM
Hoa Dinh,
It was your description and pics of the splitter you made that really got me re-thinking using a splitter again. (The stock splitter is lacking and I stopped using it) I have the Griz 1023 but ALL my inserts are zero clearance. I use a pattern bit on the metal inserts that came with the saw to make batches of blank plates. The quick change feature of the MJ or a home made splitter inserted in the zero clearance plate is what it will take to get me to use them more often. I agree that metal will last longer.

Anyway....thanks for being one of the folks that brings me back to safer sawing.

Hoa Dinh
06-07-2006, 7:42 PM
I have the Griz 1023.
From what I know, the Delta Removable Splitter fits the right tilt G1023.

I don't know about the left tilt G1023.

IMHO, a shop-made splitter used with the mounting bracket from the Delta Removable Splitter is even more convenient than the MJ. When you make a new ZCI, all you need to do is cut a saw kerf for the splitter. This is easier than drilling the holes for the MJ.

john whittaker
06-07-2006, 7:58 PM
Yes Hoa, I have the left tilt 1023.....But I'm interested in your idea. When using a Delta mount with the shop made splitter, What is involved in removing it? How quick can the splitter be removed for miter cuts etc?

And if I'm understanding this correctly, the MJ can ONLY be used for straight cuts...no mitered or beveled cuts. It looks like your splitter method can be used when bevel cutting. Is this correct?

Jim DeLaney
06-07-2006, 7:59 PM
From what I know, the Delta Removable Splitter fits the right tilt G1023.

I don't know about the left tilt G1023.

IMHO, a shop-made splitter used with the mounting bracket from the Delta Removable Splitter is even more convenient than the MJ. When you make a new ZCI, all you need to do is cut a saw kerf for the splitter. This is easier than drilling the holes for the MJ.

It'll fit the left tilt model, also.

I agree with the use of a shop made 'blade' to fit the Delta bracket, in lieu of the MJ splitter. I made mine from aluminum, about 0.090" thick - same thickness as the Delta splitter. Works very will with the MJ Grripper.

As for the MJ splitter - I don't like it! If the saw kerf does close up a bit, it'll rip the MJ splitter right out of its mounting holes, and it'll never work right again - requiring replacement with a new one.

I complained about it once, and was told that "it's a feature, not a malfunction." Sounded like a 'Microsoft' answer to me. I never bothered to replace it - just made the aluminum insert for the Delta instead.

YMMV...

Hoa Dinh
06-07-2006, 8:08 PM
Yes Hoa, I have the left tilt 1023.....But I'm interested in your idea. When using a Delta mount with the shop made splitter, What is involved in removing it? How quick can the splitter be removed for miter cuts etc?

And if I'm understanding this correctly, the MJ can ONLY be used for straight cuts...no mitered or beveled cuts. It looks like your splitter method can be used when bevel cutting. Is this correct?
See the photo below.... (EDIT: I can't upload the photo because it has been uploaded to one of my post today. Please see the thread referred to in my post above for photo).

To remove the splitter: (1) lift the ZCI (2) give the knurled knob 1/2 turn counterclockwise (3) pull the splitter up (4) (optional) give the knurled knob a few turns clockwise (5) put the ZCI back. Total time: about 7 seconds. I have a rare earth magnet attached to the boom of the overarm bladeguard so the splitter has a place to "park."

Yes. An advantage of the (shopmade) Delta splitter over the MJ is that the Delta can be used in bevel cutting, when you really need a splitter.

john whittaker
06-07-2006, 8:25 PM
Yes Hoa, I saw your other post and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions...You have been a big help.

And Jim..."Microsoft answer"..... I understand and agree. :p