PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy some blades

Jeff Horton
06-07-2006, 4:10 PM
It's time to purchase some blades for the two saws.

First the RAS. It will swing a 12" blade and I have a pretty good idea what I want for it. It will be used for cross cuts strictly. I don't see ripping on it since I have the Unisaw. I am thinking negative rake, high tooth count, etc. The only hitch is it's a 1" arbor. I know they are available, just runs the price up.

Unisaw's main use will be rip cuts but there are times it's quicker or I am lazy and will do some cross cuts too. I will probably make a cross cut sled too. I am really undecided on combo blade since I have never used one. I like not having to change blades. Of course I can just get myself in the habit of using the DeWalt for cross cuts too. How good are the combo blades? What about plywood with a combo? I do have a jointer so I can smooth a cut made with a rip blade if I need too.

Now the biggie! I need a dado set for the RAS. Obviously the 1' arbor presents a ($) problem. I would like a good set but I really don't want to shell out $200. But if that what it takes I can.

I have a cheap set I can use on the Uni for now. They will be replaced at some point. But the RAS has nothing so it's need are put first.

Now, the floor is open for discussion. I have no one brand in mind. Forrest is good but the price for all I need is probably out of the question. I lean toward Frued I guess, but I am asking for suggestions.

tod evans
06-07-2006, 4:17 PM
jeff, get on the phone and call cg schmidt and explain what you`re wanting from a blade and what saw you`re using and your budgit and see what they recommend...for off the shelf i like amana blades, and i agree with the neg. rake on a radial. also i`m not fond of combo blades for what it`s worth....02 tod

Charlie Velasquez
06-07-2006, 7:53 PM
It's time to purchase some blades for the two saws.

The only hitch is it's a 1" arbor. I know they are available, just runs the price up.

U.

Forrest Blades can custom bore on a 10" blade for about $7
That makes the Woodworker I about $100.

Frued makes a nice 1" to 5/8" bushing. I would check out Amazon. Might make things easier.

Freud BL71MCE9 1" to 5/8" Saw Blade Bushing

Frank Fusco
06-07-2006, 7:56 PM
Call Suffolk machinery, the Timberwolf blade people.
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

They will give you expert advice on what is best for your needs.

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 8:45 PM
Well...I'm a Forrest fan and they can supply you with 1" arbor bore blades as indicated. The Amana blades that Tod mentions are also quite nice...and most 12" blade come with 1" bore to the best of my knowledge which covers you on the RAS.

The dado for the RAS is going to cost you, but again, you can have the bore dealt with.

Don't use a ripping blade for cross-cuts...the risk of tearing is nasty. A good combo/general purpose blade is the way to go for the TS, IMHO, with a dedicated ripping blade for thick materials. I use a Forrest WW-II 40t for general ripping and cross cuts (glass smooth) and a Forrest WW-II 20t ripping blade for...ripping thick materials.

Norman Hitt
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
First, let me say that I DON'T like or use thin kerf blades, (too much deflection tendency to suit me), so I recently picked up a new 10" Freud 26 tooth rip blade that was on sale at Amazon, for my TS, and the rips in Red Oak have been GLASS Smooth, (not even one tooth mark or rough/fuzzy spot in about 200' of rips so far. The price is good on this blade, even when not on sale.

My Dewalt Mitre Saw came with a (construction/framing) blade, and all their blades are basically thin kerf, so I looked for something else. I happened to see a Hitachi 12" Mitre saw blade that looked really good with a Heavy body and was a full kerf blade, so I tried it. I have been very pleased with all the cuts I have made in Red Oak, and plywood so far. There may be slightly better blades out there, but for about $54 I don't think I could beat it's performance without spending a lot more money, and for only a minimal improvement, (if any).

Charles McCracken
06-08-2006, 1:58 PM
Jeff,

The SD310 10" dado with 1" bore is available for less than $200. Do a Google search and you will find lots of sources.