PDA

View Full Version : Bowl or hollow form? You decide...

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2006, 3:46 PM
Remember that discussion we had awhile back about the dividing line between bowl and HF? Well, if there is such a line, I think this thing straddles it. Walnut, 5-1/4"x2":
Walls aren't particularly thin, especially out at the edges: I don't have a hollowing tool, just a slightly reground round scraper from the Harbor Freight set. And I'm open to suggestions about the finish for the inside: there's no way a buffer fits through that hole.:eek:

Michael Stafford
06-07-2006, 3:53 PM
I don't know diddly about hollow forms but it is a pretty piece of work. And the way you laser engraved your name on the bottom is too cool. My only suggestion would be to include the wood species as well for posterity. Looks nice Lee!

Keith Burns
06-07-2006, 3:55 PM
Lee, thats a fine Hollow Form !! :) :) :)

They do make 2" buffing balls that might fit. If not you might try friction polish.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-07-2006, 4:00 PM
Ya know, I don't have any measurements, evidence, or publications to back me up here, but I'd say that it's a hollow form---and a very nice one at that. Great job, Lee!

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2006, 4:18 PM
Yep Lee I would call that a hollow form and a beautiful job to. They have 2 inch buffing balls that you put in a drill that would work for that real well. I have a 3 from Packard Woodworks for Tripoli, Diamondtine, plus one for wax and they work great.

John Timberlake
06-07-2006, 4:28 PM
I'd call it a hollow bowl. And it looks really nice. How did you get the bottom so flat on the inside?

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 4:31 PM
I'd have to lean to hollow form on this one, Lee. I have a similar one on my shelf (including size) and that's what I call it! Nice job.

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2006, 4:33 PM
How did you get the bottom so flat on the inside?Square scraper. The transition wasn't intended to be that sharp, but when I was scraping the sides, I simultaneously ran out of thickness on the bottom and room to maneuver the round scraper.

Tom Sherman
06-07-2006, 4:55 PM
That Hollow form looks great to me, real nice.

Vaughn McMillan
06-07-2006, 6:11 PM
I'd call it a hollow form, Lee...maybe a bollow howl? And your penmanship in the signature on the bottom is flawless. Looks almost machine-drawn. ;)

Seriously, it's a great-looking HF, Lee. I see I've got a lot of catching up to do.

- Vaughn

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 6:59 PM
Lee, I have the same dilemma, but who cares you did a great job on this one!

Andy Hoyt
06-07-2006, 7:25 PM
I like "tweeners" like this because they defy the accepted norm from both courts. Good job, Lee.

Ernie Nyvall
06-07-2006, 7:26 PM
Well, you couldn't sip the last bit of soup from it so I'd say a HF.

Real smooth curves Lee. Nice job.

Ernie

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2006, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Something tells me there's a hollowing tool moving up my priority list.:p

A note on the wood: the hardwood place I go to had a shelf full of these 2-1/4"x5-1/2"x16" walnut "turning blanks", $4 each with some 4"-wide pieces at $3 each. They appeared to be cut-offs from some kind of seriously fussy job, maybe a big conference table glue-up: they had all sorts of chalk marks indicating grain direction changes and nearly-invisible knots. I grabbed a couple on my way to the checkout "just because"...think I'm going back tomorrow to load up.:cool:

Tom Stover
06-07-2006, 8:13 PM
Call it whatever you like. but its a very pretty one.:D :D

Corey Hallagan
06-07-2006, 8:41 PM
I don't know either, but it is plenty cool!!

corey

Barry Stratton
06-07-2006, 8:58 PM
Cool HF/bowl/squished ort and some REAL nice looking walnut! Definitely load up on that stuff and keep those impressive pics coming.

Ernie Nyvall
06-07-2006, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Something tells me there's a hollowing tool moving up my priority list.:p

A note on the wood: the hardwood place I go to had a shelf full of these 2-1/4"x5-1/2"x16" walnut "turning blanks", $4 each with some 4"-wide pieces at $3 each. They appeared to be cut-offs from some kind of seriously fussy job, maybe a big conference table glue-up: they had all sorts of chalk marks indicating grain direction changes and nearly-invisible knots. I grabbed a couple on my way to the checkout "just because"...think I'm going back tomorrow to load up.:cool:

Yep, I'd go get them. There are a couple of places around here that would charge 25 bucks for those.

Ernie

Don Baer
06-07-2006, 9:45 PM
See comment in thhe other thread..:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=377132&posted=1#post377132

Dick Parr
06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Great job Lee and I vote for hollow form on this one.:)

Mark Cothren
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Great looking hollow form, Lee!

Great looking bowl, Lee!

(Am I covered now?) :cool:

I'd call it a hollow form - and a fine lookin' chunk of Walnut it is!

Dave Wimmer
06-08-2006, 8:35 AM
I recently turned what I thought was a hollow form and was told "if the hole is larger than 1" it's a bowl!"

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2006, 8:47 AM
Lee........Your turning skills have grown so quickly! HF or bowl.....I'm not qualified to make that decision but.......It sure is a good job! Excellent!

Mark Cothren
06-08-2006, 9:47 AM
I recently turned what I thought was a hollow form and was told "if the hole is larger than 1" it's a bowl!"

Oh really? Never heard that one before... so if someone turns a 20" diameter "thing" that has a 1-1/2" opening/hole then it's a bowl...:confused:

Interesting...:)

Rich Stewart
06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Bowl = Rim open to largest diameter as someone else said

Dish = very shallow bowl, small

Platter is a very shallow bowl, big

Openform = Opening larger than the base but smaller than the maxiumum diameter.

Hollowform = opening equal or smaller than the base and significantly less than the max diameter

Pot = Height equals diameter and opening is equal or close to max diameter, just kind of square in porportion

Vase = significantly taller than the max diameter and opening is equal or close to the diameter of the top of the vessel.

Urn = Vase like in hieght or porportion but fits hollowform defintion

Box = has lid that fits fairly tightly, small

Lidded vessel = openform, pot or vase with a lid, bigger than a box, lid fits rather loosely

Art = A woodturned item priced proudly

Craft = A woodturned item priced modestly

Junk = a turning currently in flight accross the shop, ie. 'Houston we have a problem'

I saw this somewhere and liked it. By a man named Frank Kobilsek.

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Openform = Opening larger than the base but smaller than the maxiumum diameter.(whips out measuring tape) Yup, that's what it is.:D :cool:

(Serves me right for indenting the bottom, otherwise it would be a "hollowform". :p )