PDA

View Full Version : A few more Turnings.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-10-2003, 7:46 PM
Here are my latest attempts at Turning. Pardon the Color of the pictures, I guess the Halogen light I use for lighting isn't the hot setup............I will have to try something else to get a truer color representation? Thanks for looking!

The first small bowl is spalted and wormy Elm. A challenge to turn, as the wood was slightly punky. I thought for sure it would fly apart when I turned the fluted rim, but as thin as it is, it hung in there for me.
The second small bowl is from a nice piece of Cherry Terry Quiram gave me when he dropped off the Lathe. I hope I did it justice. I really like the way this bowl turned out..........not bad for someone who really isn't sure of exactly what he is doing..........yet. ;)
The third bowl is turned from one of the Elm Trees I took down at my Dad & Mom's property last weekend. The Elms had been standing dead for about a year or so, and the wood is pretty dry. I am not sure if this bowl will crack or move, so time will tell. It is kind of an experimental project, to see just what will happen, if anything.
The final bowl is something I dreamed up while going thru my "Maybe" scrap bin. I glued up some scrap Cherry, Walnut and Padouk, and gave it a whirl! It turned very nicely, and I was unsure about the Padouk, but as hard as it is, it was a breeze to turn. On all the turnings, I made sure I had my tools sharp, and so far, the Delta VS speed grinder and Wolverine System has done it's job for me. You sure can tell when the tools are getting dull................they will let you know QUICK! Thanks for taking a look! Having more fun than a human should be allowed to have! :D

Terry Quiram
09-10-2003, 7:54 PM
Kevin

The Cherry bowl turned out very nice. You are certainly more adventurous than I was when I started. Great start.

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-10-2003, 8:04 PM
Thanks Terry, I truly appreciate the compliment. I have always been a "Dive right in" kind of guy..........and sometimes it bites me in the butt, and sometimes things work out OK. The Lathe experience so far as been on the OK list. I did lose one bowl I was turning from Walnut...........I had the walls too thin, just to see how far I could take it, and it let me know in no uncertain terms! Kinda scary when things fly apart, ain't it? :D

BuLLdoGG
09-10-2003, 8:11 PM
These turnings look great welldone

Richard Allen
09-10-2003, 8:14 PM
Gawd Kevin!!

Slow down a little. Or is it SO much wood So little time??

Nice work!!

Thanks

Bob Oswin
09-10-2003, 8:38 PM
Gawd Kevin!!

Slow down a little. Or is it SO much wood So little time??

Nice work!!

Thanks
Glad to see your luving it Kevin!
Turn away!...and keep posting!

Bbo

Mike Leonard
09-10-2003, 8:45 PM
Very very nice Kevin. What type of finish is on the cherry and the cherry, walnut and padouk bowls? They look really nice. My lathe won't be here for another week or so. Feel like a 5 year old waiting on Christmas. I have the Wolverine system, slow speed grinder and a Talon chuck on my short list.

Keep up the good work.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-10-2003, 8:56 PM
Wow Kevin, You are out the gate with a rush. Are you sleeping in the shop too? :)

You are doing so well with different shapes and forms and you can only get better and better as time goes by. You look like a natural. Isn't this fun? I really love turning but have stopped temporarily to do more flat work. I have so much to learn and the lathe stopped my education with the other things. So I stopped turning cold turkey and I do miss it but will get back soon.

Have fun and be safe. Alan in Md.

Jim Baker
09-10-2003, 9:01 PM
Very nice turnings, Kevin. Do you ever take a break to eat, sleep, or go to work?

It's nice to have fairly ready access to so many kinds of woods, isn't it?

Brad Schafer
09-10-2003, 9:21 PM
creative shapes. nicely done,

b

Tom Sweeney
09-10-2003, 9:41 PM
Just kidding Kevin,
This batch looks absolutely wonderful. The cherry is my favorite I think - The design is perfect & the finish looks great also.
I like the glued up bowl a lot also - I have one working now myself & can't wait to get out & finish turn it - after seeing how nice yours looks I think I'll add a 3rd wood to mine also - I haven't turned cherry yet so that's what it will be.
I'll second the question on finishes - what are you using? It looks real nice.

You really are a natural - aint this turning stuff a blast :D

Jim Becker
09-10-2003, 9:43 PM
I agree with Terry, that cherry bowl is the "cat's meow"...I especially like the gentle curve and the undercut rim. That's not easy to do and you have accomplished it very well.

John Miliunas
09-10-2003, 9:44 PM
So, Kevin, how soon before you start selling off your flatwork equipment???!!! :D I'm looking for a decent cabinet saw, if you happen to have one. Seriously, like others have said, you hit the bricks runnin' with this whole spinny thing. Very nicely done! :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-10-2003, 9:50 PM
You Guys are just TOO kind! I deeply appreciate the words of encouragement. Yes, I DO have a job and family, but I just make a little time each day to piddle in the shop. I REALLY need to clean the shop now though........this turning obsession has it trashed! :D The Finish on the Cherry and Cherry/Walnut/Padouk Bowl is Minwax Antique Oil Finish. I applied it while spinning it on the Lathe, then added a second coat a day later, rubbed it down with Paste Wax using a synthetic pad........the white 3M Pad, and shined 'em up with a soft cloth. The large Elm Bowl has a light coat of Antique Oil on it.........I am not sure what will happen with that bowl, as the wood has some moisture in it yet. Tom, give the Cherry a go.....it is great to turn! The nice thing about my Woodworking is that my Wife really likes that I have this as a hobby...............last night she asked me if I was going to turn after supper...........she wanted to watch me for a while.............LIFE IS GOOD! :D (I have a feeling she is going to take over the Jet Mini Lathe when it arrives in October!) :(

Jim Becker
09-10-2003, 9:54 PM
The large Elm Bowl has a light coat of Antique Oil on it.........I am not sure what will happen with that bowl, as the wood has some moisture in it yet.

Don't be afraid to leave a turning like the wormy elm as a "matt" finish. I've even done some cherry burl that way and the results were outstanding...and a nice contrast to the normal "super buffed" look that many of my turnings have.

Bob Lasley
09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Kevin,

Me thinks all your future boxes will be round!!

Nice work and I agree, you are a natural.

Bob

Don Farr
09-11-2003, 7:37 AM
Really nice work Kevin. I'm jealous that you jumped so far ahead of me. I would not even think about putting a picture of my first bowl on here.
It was bad! :o

Von Bickley
09-11-2003, 4:55 PM
Kevin,
Great looking bowls. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.