PDA

View Full Version : DC in blade guards - is one superior?

Tom Jones III
06-07-2006, 3:24 PM
I am planning on getting a TS blade guard that includes DC. The only reason I'm looking for a new guard is so that I can get better DC since the blade guard I currently have works adequately for its intended purpose.

I'm leaning towards the shark guard for price and simplicity but I want to make sure that I'm getting a guard with effective DC. Does anyone have any specific comments about DC on their guard? Has anyone ever seen different guards actually in use and can comment on their DC ability?

Matt Tawes
06-07-2006, 3:54 PM
I looked at a few of the others but really did not want to worry with mounting to the side of the saw or ceiling plus I wanted to add a removeable splitter so I chose the Sharkguard. I just installed it this weekend and have been using it every day since and it works remarkably well. I also have have a router table in one wing so I just unplug the 4" hose from it and use a reducer to attach to the SG and it provides plenty of draw (I open the port to my saw base about half to 3/4 of the way and the gate to the guard all the way). There is very minimal dust on the saw and none blowing back at me off the top of the blade. The only downside would be if you did not have enough CFM but I''ve got one of the old 1.5HP Oneida Cyclones and I have plenty of flow. I think the key is running the largest hose possible to the guard before reducing it.
I'm sure others like the Excalibur or Penn State work just as well but for the $$$ and having the splitter the SG is a great value for it's performance.

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 3:57 PM
I have found the Excalibur to be quite good at over-arm dust collection when employed to do so. I'm not familiar with the Sharkguard, so cannot compare.

Christopher Stahl
06-07-2006, 3:59 PM
I've never used the Shark Guard, but I've been thinking about going that route myself. I would like to hear more Shark Guard users chime in.

JayStPeter
06-07-2006, 5:53 PM
I am also interested in opinions on the Shark guard.

I have an older Excalibur (the Exactor design) that isn't ideal as either a guard or dust collector. The Shark looks like a less hassle option. I like my Delta removable splitter and actually wonder if I can modify the Shark to work with it.

Jay

Jeff Fritzson
06-07-2006, 6:16 PM
I had the shark guard with my delta contractor saw and was very pleased with it. I have since upgrade to a different saw and use a delta snap in splitter. Because I already have that splitter I am leaning towards the PSI overhead as I do not want to try and rebuild the overarm connection I used.

I think you will be very happy with the Shark guard on price performance. In addition, Lee is a great guy to do business with.

Mark Carlson
06-07-2006, 6:39 PM
In a previous thread I attached this picture that shows my Shark Guard. I have a short length of 3 in hose connected to one of those orange My Nozzle hoses which connects to my Festool CT22 vac. I dont have a cyclone (yet) and my DC is connected to the base of the saw. The dust collection on the SC is pretty good with the CT22. I still get a little dust on the table at the end of the cut. I'm curious to see if I get better or worse results if I had the SG hooked to a cyclone. The SG has a 2 1/4 in hookup and this might be too small to hook to a cyclone. I know Bill Pentz reccomends a 3 1/2 hookup to the guard. I'm very happy with the Shark Guard:)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38383&d=1147487437

~mark

Jim Andrew
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Still waiting for my shark guard. Have the pipe witing for it, but so far have not found an adapter from 4" down to the 2 1/4. Asked him about
making mine a 4" oval, and he said too many pieces will fly out the hole.
Don't know if that matters if you have a heavy duty hose and a good
dust system. But guess he knows better than me. Jim

glenn bradley
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM
I believe you'll find the adapter your looking for at rockler as item # 34654

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5742

Mark Carlson
06-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Jim,

The Shark Guard has a 2 1/4 in ID and a 2 1/2 OD port. The port isn't really a circle but more of an oval. I think you'll have a tough time finding an adapter that will fit this oval shape.

~mark

Matt Tawes
06-08-2006, 8:59 AM
The port on my SG is oval where it meets the guard but round on top and I just use a 4"-2 1/4" adaptor. I tried my SG with the shop vac & CT22 and the cyclone moves more air thus works the most efficient. You have to run a large hose right to the guard then reduce it to get the best performance. I would say anything less than 4" run very far from the main duct and you will get very poor CFM at the guard.
For those with existing splitters I would venture to say that if you have enough mounting surface that the SG could easily be adapted to it, however since the SG comes with 3 different sz. splitters you wont be saving any money.

Byron Trantham
06-08-2006, 1:16 PM
How easy is it to remove? I am currentlys using a Biesemeyer splitter and its a jewel for intall and removal. BTW, how much is the SG?

Tyler Howell
06-08-2006, 1:25 PM
:confused: Real happy with the Excalibur.
Required some fine tuning to get good flow on DC side.
Still have all fingers, and all my teeth:D
I don't mind a little dust on the table, tit's the stuff in my face and lungs I'm concerned about.
That Shark Guard looks interesting:confused:
Anyone have a review or discription:confused:

Matt Tawes
06-08-2006, 2:41 PM
Byron,

The SG sells for $128 http://www.leestyron.com/sharkguard.php and the guard can be removed separate from the splitter, each takes about 2 seconds. The guard lifts off & to remove the splitter just lift your throut plate and turn the lever & the splitter comes off.
From all I read both here & on Woodnet these guards are pretty popular and the simplicity + price is what sold me. Lee has a high demand though for them as mine arrived about 1 month after I ordered it but I'm not complaining. I think Lee told me that after the last time someone posted a favorable review on one of the forums he was overwhelmed with orders.