PDA

View Full Version : A Cherry rose

Terry Quiram
09-10-2003, 6:57 PM
This is a pattern of my own design. The rose is made of Cherry on a Curly Maple plaque. Finish is Deft satin and 2 coats of sunshine. The plaque is 10" X 4".

Jim Baker
09-10-2003, 7:03 PM
Beautiful, Terry. That intricate work really amazes me. I don't think I would be patient enough to attempt something that detailed.

I particularly like the use of contrasting woods. Very nice.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-10-2003, 7:09 PM
That is VERY nice Terry. That Curly Maple Plaque is a really nice piece of wood. The Walnut Rose really stands out nicely, and the woods compliment each other very well. I always have been amazed at really nice scroll work...............I have a scroll saw, and one of these days I am gonna have to MAKE myself sit down and do something meaningful. Right now, that goofy Lathe grabs me and makes me use it every time I walk into the shop! :D By the way, I'm afraid that stupid grin on my face may be terminal! Nice work Terry, thanks for sharing the photo with us.

BuLLdoGG
09-10-2003, 7:40 PM
First class m8 welldone

Bob Lasley
09-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Beautiful Terry, I like the touch of the unopened bud at the top. Looks like you are as good at designing patterns as you are running that scroll saw!

Bob

Terry Quiram
09-11-2003, 6:52 AM
Bob

Thanks for the nice comments. I wish I could design then I would be producing pattern books and making a lot more money than scrolling. Every once in a while a picture really begs to be made into a pattern. A pattern I developed was published in Woodworkers Journal Nov/Dec 1996 that came from a design I saw in a quilting mag.

I put that Cedar you brought to Terry's to use last night. I cut it in half and Connie is standing on it to use my Delta 16/42.

Kevin

Goofy lathe????? Don't you mean wonderful mulch producer? Connie spent 2 hours last night learning to dress the grinder wheels, sharpen and use spindle gouges.

Come up and I will give you a scrolling lesson.

Doug Littlejohn
09-11-2003, 4:07 PM
Terry,

Beautiful design. If you are interested, I know I would love to buy a print from you so I could make some. I would dearly love to try and do an inlay of that.

Thanks for sharing such nice work.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-11-2003, 5:45 PM
Terry, it is GOOD to hear that Connie has taken an interest in Turning. I think most Gals would be very good at turning..........it seems that for the most part, they have more patience than some of us Guys. (Speaking of myself, of course!) We just may have to take a day trip this fall or winter to visit with you, and get some pointers on Scrolling. Thanks for the offer! I may have to check out the local lumber mills in your area too...........always on the lookout for new places to buy nice hardwood's. We have a little sawmill near Troy, but you have to call the owner and meet him there, and Saturday's are by appointment..........if he feels like meeting with you then. He has nice wood, and his prices are hard to beat, but it can be a hassle setting up a time to go there................but it could be worse I guess. Angie really liked the Rose Plaque too! :)

Bob Oswin
09-11-2003, 7:30 PM
This is a pattern of my own design. The rose is made of Cherry on a Curly Maple plaque. Finish is Deft satin and 2 coats of sunshine. The plaque is 10" X 4".
You are very talented!
I have a new appreciation for scroll art!

Bob Oswin

Rick Burson
11-04-2003, 7:59 PM
Terry - you wouldn't happen to still have a pattern of that rose you could send me, would you? I've been looking for a rose pattern for my 1 yr old daugter and yours is the second one I've seen that I like. The first was in a $12 book and it was the only pattern in it that I liked. So, needless to say - had to pass.

If anyone else has something - I'd sure be interested to see.

Rick

Keith Outten
11-04-2003, 8:20 PM
The Scroll Master does it again, very nice work Terry. Hey the design is nice as well but you have the magic touch with that fancy scroll saw of yours.

How about we put our heads together on a project, I will laser engrave and you do the scroll work. Lots of possibilities! Send me an email if you are interested.

Terry Quiram
11-05-2003, 7:25 AM
Doug and Rick

I am making up my mind as to whether or not to market a pattern book. If I do so the rose will be included. At this time I am not interested in selling single patterns. A couple of years ago I gave the pattern to a member of my wood club because he wanted to make his girl friend one and dozens ended up in his booth at a craft mall. I will keep you posted about the book. Thanks for expressing an interest.

Terry

Doug Littlejohn
11-19-2003, 5:28 PM
Terry,

Thanks. If the Rose is a common example of your other ideas/patterns, put me up front in line to buy a book.

Thanks.

Ace Karner
11-19-2003, 6:59 PM
Well, you've done it again, beautiful work, by the way, hardly a day goes by that I don't look at that eagle I have of yours and think that I need to get the scroll saw out, but then there is so much wood that needs turning, LOL

Tell Connie we're waiting for more turning pics :)

Terry Quiram
11-20-2003, 7:29 AM
Ace

I would actually have to be able to get into the shop to turn. Terry has been helping to empty a closed variety/hardware store and you wouldn't believe the piles of "treasure". :D Thanks for thinking of me. I will get back to it.

Connie