PDA

View Full Version : Dado blade suggestions

Julio Navarro
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I cut some dados last night while building a cabinet and I used my old 7" 'angle' dado blade (changes angles)

I dont do much dadoing with that blade and I rememberd why last night, it is very loud and shakes the TS very badly. The 'woble' obviously changes the balance of the blade.

So...I want to get a new dado blade and would like to get suggestions on a good dado blade system that doesnt rattle the whole garage.

Any suggestions of the less than $150 variety?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
There are quite a few good blades available Amana is among them.

Not one of the good blades is cheap.

tod evans
06-07-2006, 10:45 AM
julio, amana makes good blades...02 tod

Rob Bodenschatz
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I've heard the Freud SD508 is very good although I haven't used it myself. I've been watching it on Amazon and it is currently at $199 but I've seen it drop to $149 a few times in the past month. I've also heard good things about the SD208 which is a shade over $100.

Roy Wall
06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
I got the Dewalt 7670 8" set - Amazon for around $89. It got a good review from a fellow creeker back in Feb of this year. It may show on a search.........

I saw it demo'd at the KC WW show - their price was $129 so I did not get it there.

Barry Beech
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I have the Freud sd208 that I bought at the borg. It does just fine for me (I'm just a hobbiest). It was about $100.

Bart Leetch
06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
On another forum the Grizzly G7777 Dado set was recommended as making nice flat clean dados. I think I'll be looking into this set.

Scott Thornton
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I use a CMT set, they are excellent, very easy to use and perfect cuts...they aren't cheap though, they aren't as much as Forrest, but they are more than the Freud...I've heard the Freud blades are okay too...

John D Watson
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Having been in the same boat, and after many months of shopping I found the Freud set at the BORG for under a hundred. 8" stack with all the shims and a case. All you can do is go up from here and good luck finding what you want.

Howard Acheson
06-07-2006, 11:29 AM
The dado set the always wins the "Best Buy" accolades is the Freud SD20x stack dado. It can be purchased for under $100 and will produce flat bottoms and cleanly cut edges.

There are other more expensive set--including some from Freud--but they produce only marginally better cuts.

Steve Wargo
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
If you don't do many dado's then why not just use the router and a straight edge? Sprial Downcut's do a great job. Just trying to save you a little time and money

Julio Navarro
06-07-2006, 11:35 AM
The dado set the always wins the "Best Buy" accolades is the Freud SD20x stack dado. It can be purchased for under $100 and will produce flat bottoms and cleanly cut edges.

There are other more expensive set--including some from Freud--but they produce only marginally better cuts.

I was looking at those, they look like a good solution. Thanks Howard.

Julio Navarro
06-07-2006, 11:38 AM
If you don't do many dado's then why not just use the router and a straight edge? Sprial Downcut's do a great job. Just trying to save you a little time and money

Very true, I was going to use my router but my table is in a peculiar stage of dismemberment, :o

I needed to cut thin (1-1/2 x 3/4) strips with 1/2 inchx3/4" rabbet, TS seemed the best way.

Allen Bookout
06-07-2006, 5:19 PM
I have the Freud 8" Dial-A-Width and really love it. I know that is more than you want to spend but after trying the Freud I would not hesitate to buy any of their blades.

One option that I was thinking about since you live in the Tampa area is the Infinity "Dadonator". I have seen good things about it. It is $179 I think. But then of course you would have to pay tax. I have not used it but the other Infinity stuff seems to be very good.

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 6:55 PM
Freud SD508, SD506, SD208, SD206 in that order make for a very cost effective solution. The first two cut cleaner bottoms, but cost a little more.

Bruce Wrenn
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM
In my shop, I have Forrest Dado King, Freud 8" Safety Dado, Freud SD208, HF 8" set ($19.99 on sale), and some Sears wobble sets. The Freud SD208 gets used most of the time. Over on Woodnet, in power tool forum, there is a thread about a "cheap and good " dado set. One of the posters has a used Freud SD208 for sale-$60.00 delivered. Says it has a problem with case. What that means most likely is the plastic on retaining screws that hold blade in case is cracked or broken. Freud had a problem with this, but will ship you replacement screws at no charge. They did mine.

Norman Hitt
06-08-2006, 2:13 AM
Julio, If I were you, especially considering WHERE You LIVE, I would just drive over to Infinity Tools, and take a fast look at their "Dadonator" Sets. They have gotten many Excellent reviews in both the ww mags, AND on user reports. I think Tom Hintz, (another Creeker) has a write up about this Dado set on his website, IIRC. The others mentioned are good also, but this one's reviews seems to tout it as one of the Very Best.

Larry Norton
06-08-2006, 8:36 AM
Buy the Dewalt! I am thrilled with mine. Absolutely no chipout cross cutting plywood. If I had to buy another dado set, I wouldn't even have to think about it.