PDA

View Full Version : Weather resistant front porch rail

Bob Aquino
06-07-2006, 8:49 AM
Hi all. I am looking to put some railing on the front porch of my house. it will be a typical country front porch railing, nothing fancy, square ballusters, upper and lower rails. I have all the equipment to make whatever I need though I would like to save some time if possible by not fabricating all the pieces. The big box stores tend to carry mostly pressure treated stuff and I could paint it white to match but my experience is that this stuff will dry and warp quite a bit and I want something nicer than that.

I did see some composit railing at Lowes, not the shiny pvc stuff but a material that had a matt finish on it that would look nice. They had it in 6 and 8 foot lengths. The span I need is about 80 inches. The 6 for an upper and lower rail was about 38 but the 8' set was about 30 more. Not quite sure why an extra 2 feet should be double the price, but that type of gouging is enough to make be do it some other way.

So the question is, whats the best material to use that will hold paint well and wont go wonky as the sun and rain beat on it year after year. I'm in the southern part of VA so we do get our share of both. I'm thinking maybe cedar glued up to make the rails? Any suggestions for other types of wood? thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Wilkins
06-07-2006, 9:18 AM
Here in eastern NC I have used cypress for outdoor uses. It is a softwood but machines easily, holds paint well, and is a weather resistant species. Or if your wallet can handle the strain, mahogany would be a great choice. Same working properties as cypress; and you could even leave it natural with an exterior finish if desired.
Just remember to use a good quality exterior primer before painting. This is the most important part of any paint job. Good luck and watch those fingers.

Henry Cavanaugh
06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I have a relatively maintance free 2 story house with 20 year old weathered cedar shingles and aluminum clad trim that looks like fresh painted wood. The down side is a railing and ballisters on the North west side that doesnt get sun and good air movement due to trees. I have to keep painting the railing etc after power washing the mildew so was going to switch to Vinyl at Home Depot or www.usfenceonline.com (http://www.usfenceonline.com).

Keith Beck
06-07-2006, 2:25 PM
Bob,

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but as I live in your neck of the woods and therefore have access to the same materials, and since I'm also looking at replacing the front porch railing I recently took out, I'm very interested in what you come up with.

I too am trying to avoid going the PT route as I haven't been happy with the amount it shrinks and warps. I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind when you come up with a material and I'd be interested in seeing the design you use.

Keith

Doyle Alley
06-07-2006, 3:25 PM
I'm building mine right now - out of cypress. But then again, that is what I happen to have in the garage (er-shop).