PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Extruded Vinyl PVC mouldings

Steven J Corpstein
06-06-2006, 9:58 PM
I'm going to be using some of the Extruded Cellular Vinyl PVC boards that are used for garage jams, window sills, etc.

http://www.royalmouldings.com/ExteriorProducts/ExteriorProducts.htm

What have you guys used to successfully rip longer lengths to width if the correct size is too wide?

I've heard an 80 tooth blade turned backwards on a table saw. My concern is having it melt.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I used some stuff from them on my house and just used my 50 tooth combo blade. It was a little rough cut, but I was able to put the cut edges where they wouldn't show--against J-channel, etc. I didn't have any real issues with melting of the material, but the "sawdust" did stick excessivly to the blade. Laquer thinner took it right off.

Roger Everett
06-07-2006, 6:48 AM
I've use a fair bit of Azek, which I think is just another brand of similar material. Cutting is no problem, I ripped it with just a rip blade, or ATB in TS and a 8o tooth ATB blade in SCMS. It's the clean-up that I didn't like. This stuff is like styrofoam, in that it sticks to every thing with stactic electricy. Clean-up took more time than ripping the stack to size.
Roger

Chris Fite
06-11-2006, 1:44 PM
I have used it the same as wood, rip and crosscut, nail and screw. Holds paint well, too.