PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak in Progress(coaching welcome) UPDATE1

Christopher K. Hartley
06-06-2006, 8:48 PM
Showing this in a rough stage hoping to get some ideas to compliment it. I'm open...:) 8" X 6 1/2"

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2006, 8:52 PM
Chris I like it. I like the different color of the wood. Nice grain. Can't wait to see it finished.

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Chris, from the bottom of the rim down to the centerline of the larger curve, things get "flat/straight". See if you can make it a continuous curve by sweeping in a little more under the rim and then curving back out to meet the larger curve of the bottom. Here's a "not perfect" example of what I mean...it should help you understand what you might shoot for...I'm still not happy with the curve, but it's close. Phil Brennion, former AAW president, talked about this as "sexy curves" when he worked with me in his shop a few years ago. It's subtle things like this that make a nice form into an outstanding one.

Ernie Nyvall
06-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Chris, what Jim said to knock out that flat part, but I like the overall form you are shooting for and would not do anything but that. It reminds me of some very old pottery I've seen. Nice job so far.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Looking good Chris, a great piece a coming.

Corey

John Timberlake
06-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Love the contrast between the light and dark portions of the wood. Other than the flat, great form. And the grain is really going to pop when finished. Can't wait to see the final product.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 7:15 AM
Chris, from the bottom of the rim down to the centerline of the larger curve, things get "flat/straight". See if you can make it a continuous curve by sweeping in a little more under the rim and then curving back out to meet the larger curve of the bottom. Here's a "not perfect" example of what I mean...it should help you understand what you might shoot for...I'm still not happy with the curve, but it's close. Phil Brennion, former AAW president, talked about this as "sexy curves" when he worked with me in his shop a few years ago. It's subtle things like this that make a nice form into an outstanding one.

This is the part I love the most about this group, coaching and encouragement. Jim, I will definately follow this advice and see if I can get the effect you are describing. I noticed this morning a small crack in the rim. If I can stop it, I will follow through, otherwise I will heed this advise on my next one. Thanks so much I really appreciate the help. "THANKS COACH"!!:D

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 7:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know (and see...pics) how this turns out.:)

Rich Stewart
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Also something you might consider when working with oak is to use some sanding sealer or something to smooth out the grain. Nice little pot there. I know this has been mentioned before but sometimes if you look at the top of the spinning piece instead or where your chisel is, it helps you see the shape better. John Hart was saying sometimes he puts a piece of dark background behind it so he can see the outline better. This helps me also.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Also something you might consider when working with oak is to use some sanding sealer or something to smooth out the grain. Nice little pot there. I know this has been mentioned before but sometimes if you look at the top of the spinning piece instead or where your chisel is, it helps you see the shape better. John Hart was saying sometimes he puts a piece of dark background behind it so he can see the outline better. This helps me also. Good point thanks!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 6:33 PM
Lost the top part due to cracks but still tried to apply the direction given. I'm not quite sure I got there yet so don't be afraid to say so if I didn't.:) Somehow reminds me of old American Indian pottery.

Corey Hallagan
06-07-2006, 8:46 PM
It looks good but if just under the top you have the thickness to sweep in and out then I think it is perfect, either way it looks good.

Corey

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 8:50 PM
Nice improvement...a little more work at the neck (on the new flat spot) will really make it sing! (Sorry you lost some of the rim...it happens)

Vaughn McMillan
06-07-2006, 8:55 PM
I was thinking "looks like American Indian pottery" when I saw the re-do, and I quickly saw I wasn't the only one with that thought. Looks nice, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it with a finish on it.

- Vaughn

Christopher K. Hartley
06-07-2006, 8:58 PM
Nice improvement...a little more work at the neck (on the new flat spot) will really make it sing! (Sorry you lost some of the rim...it happens)

40399 I'm on it, thanks.:)