PDA

View Full Version : Another table sold at auction

Joe Unni
06-06-2006, 5:41 PM
Hey everyone!

In know, it's been a while :o

Well, I've let another table go to auction at a local art center and it fetched $350. The cool thing - I get half!! It's not a ton of money, but the exposure is worth it - deep pocket attendees ;)

Table info:
~20" square x 29" high
Top - padauk
Legs - curly maple
Aprons - black walnut
Pegs - black walnut
Finish - General Finishes oil/poly (gloss) and wax

Firsts:
Padauk and curly
2 sided, long tapers
haunch tenons

Thanks for looking.

Any and all critique is welcome.

-joe

Ben Roman
06-06-2006, 5:57 PM
I like it !!! Good Work Joe.

ben

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 6:30 PM
Congrats! Very nice showing!

Charlie Plesums
06-06-2006, 9:42 PM
Nice work.

I hate to sound greedy, but how do you arrange to get half? Around here they expect that 100% will go to the charity, and (at most) you get the privilege of leaving a stack of business cards next to the item.

Joe Unni
06-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Nice work.

I hate to sound greedy, but how do you arrange to get half? Around here they expect that 100% will go to the charity, and (at most) you get the privilege of leaving a stack of business cards next to the item.

Thanks Charlie.

It's nothing I arranged - it was the organizers of the auction.

Roger Los
06-07-2006, 3:35 AM
$350 appears to be a very good buy for whoever bought it. Nice table!

Gail O'Rourke
06-07-2006, 7:15 AM
Joe, gorgeous table! I think that it would be fun to sit and watch what people will pay. I have a piece going out at a Boy Scouts silent auction. I am interested in what it will fetch.

Nice contribution.

Tim Clark
06-07-2006, 7:56 AM
WAY TO GO!!

That's a beaut.

Putting some money IN your pocket is always a good thing. What a great way to support your habit.:)

Al Navas
06-07-2006, 8:06 AM
A beautiful table, Joe! Congratulations!

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2006, 8:49 AM
Beautiful table Joe! I normally am not a fan of that style but with those contrasting woods and your craftsmanship I'm a fan! Beautiful!

John Timberlake
06-07-2006, 9:01 AM
Love the table. Simple, but elegant. Nice choice of wood. The walnut aprons just help to set off that gorgeous curly maple. Somebody got a good buy.

Rich Torino
06-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Great looking table Joe... $350 look like the buyer made out the best..
$175 says you probably broke even...still not a bad thing some times...

John D Watson
06-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Very eligant w/nice choice in woods.

Tim Solley
06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I like it Joe. That table is just my style. Great work!

Tim

Brett Baldwin
06-07-2006, 4:05 PM
Congrats Joe. Its always nice to see that your work is well regarded.

If I could make an observation. The square edge on the top seems a little unfinished. A slight back-bevel seems like it would merged the top with the tapered legs a bit better. JMHO

Joe Unni
06-07-2006, 4:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. And yes Gail it IS fun to lurk about the auction (mine was silent as well) and watch for people placing bids.

This is the type of woodwork that I REALLY want to do more of - stand alone furniture and NO INSTALLS!!! However, I suspect the built-ins will remain as my bread and butter for while yet.

...If I could make an observation. The square edge on the top seems a little unfinished. A slight back-bevel seems like it would merged the top with the tapered legs a bit better. JMHO

Brett, I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you talking about a back-bevel on the under side of the top? If so, then the pictures don't show it well, but there is a 2 3/4" back bevel. And if you're talking about a back-bevel on the top (like a chamfer) then I REALLY don't understand. Wouldn't I then have a pointed table edge? Not trying to be a wise guy - I'm just trying to understand. Critique is good and I want to learn.

Thanks again,
-joe

Brett Baldwin
06-07-2006, 9:20 PM
It was me who missed it. The back-bevel is there now that I look carefully. In the wide angle shots, the sight angle is just enough to hide it. I should have known you wouldn't miss such a detail. :rolleyes: Please disregard the previous comment.