PDA

View Full Version : Compressor fix needed

Julio Navarro
06-06-2006, 1:50 PM
I have a HF 2.5 hp 8 gal compressor that has developed a pinhole leak at the weld joint of the tank and pipe feeding the regulator (outflow direction)

It past the 90 days warranty so I guess I got to fix it somehow.

I figured I could scrape the paint off and solder a small bead in order to plug it then paint it back.

Any thoughts on a better way?

tod evans
06-06-2006, 1:54 PM
julio, you have a wirefeed.........

Julio Navarro
06-06-2006, 2:06 PM
I thought about that too but I am still not profficient enough to do a good spot weld, I'd hate to blow a hole in the darn thing. I figured solder was safe enought not to cause any damage, though I think a weld would be much better of course.

Frank Chaffee
06-06-2006, 2:08 PM
julio, you have a wirefeed.........
Julio,
Be sure the tank is open and at atmospheric pressure. Start your bead ~1/2” away from the pinhole and weave thru it and ~1/2” past.

There must not be any moisture in the pinhole, so it may be a good idea to dry the immediate area with a torch.

Frank

tod evans
06-06-2006, 2:10 PM
julio, this might get deleeted? but one of my favorite sayings is; you can polish a turd and polish it but in the end you`ve got a shiny turd...02 tod

Mike Henderson
06-06-2006, 2:13 PM
You probably know this but just in case - whether you solder or weld it, you need to vent the tank completely and keep the vent open while you are repairing the hole. If you don't keep it vented, the heat will raise the pressure in the tank and the air escaping will blow your repair out while it's still soft.

If the hole is really small, solder will probalby do the job.

Mike

Julio Navarro
06-06-2006, 2:17 PM
julio, this might get deleeted? but one of my favorite sayings is; you can polish a turd and polish it but in the end you`ve got a shiney turd...02 tod
lol, Tod.. Understood!

Julio Navarro
06-06-2006, 2:21 PM
You probably know this but just in case - whether you solder or weld it, you need to vent the tank completely and keep the vent open while you are repairing the hole. If you don't keep it vented, the heat will raise the pressure in the tank and the air escaping will blow your repair out while it's still soft.

If the hole is really small, solder will probalby do the job.

Mike

Good point Michael, and yes, the hole is not even visible. I always open the bleeder when I am done with the compressor but I will most likely need to disassemble the pressure guage and cut off switch just to get to the hole.

Loren Hedahl
06-06-2006, 2:24 PM
I'm just thinking that if it were my compressor . . . .

I would open the fitting, mix up some epoxy such as JB Weld and apply it to the inside of the tank fitting where the pin hole leak is using a piece of bent wire.

Then before the epoxy set up, I would put it back together and start it up. I wouldn't add full pressure, maybe something like 20 - 30 psi.

Then I would check the pin-hole leak with soapy water. If all was well I would just leave it be for several hours before going to full pressure.

This is sort of a 'farm boy' approach. But I think I would have a good chance of messing it up trying to weld it up. Also, I wouldn't think treating it from the outside would be a lasting repair.

Anyway, good luck. Some days peanuts, some days shells.

Dave Sweeney
06-06-2006, 2:26 PM
OK, I give up, why was this thread moved into the Off Topic Forum?:confused: Seems tool related to me. Or, was it moved into the Woodworking/Tool Forum from the Off Topic Forum and how can one tell?

Steve Clardy
06-06-2006, 3:00 PM
If you don't want to try your hand at welding it, and want to solder it, try using silver solder. Much tougher than regular solder

Joe Pelonio
06-06-2006, 4:32 PM

I would open the fitting, mix up some epoxy such as JB Weld and apply it to the inside of the tank fitting where the pin hole leak is using a piece of bent wire.

I've used jb weld successfully on a gas tank, and on mufflers in the past.
If you force it into the hole or remove the fitting so it's on the inside as well it might well hold. Worth a try before getting into the welding.

Julio Navarro
06-06-2006, 5:04 PM

Then before the epoxy set up, I would put it back together and start it up. I wouldn't add full pressure, maybe something like 20 - 30 psi.

Then I would check the pin-hole leak with soapy water. If all was well I would just leave it be for several hours before going to full pressure.

This is sort of a 'farm boy' approach. But I think I would have a good chance of messing it up trying to weld it up. Also, I wouldn't think treating it from the outside would be a lasting repair.

Anyway, good luck. Some days peanuts, some days shells.

I had also thought of JB Weld but I didnt think of doing it from the inside! Great idea, going to see if the pipe coming out is big enough to access the pin hole from the inside. Putting a little preassure as you suggested would force JB stuff into the hole before it seals up, good thinking. Not so 'farm boy,' I think.

I would only be concerned of small particles of the JBWeld material coming loose and flowing up into the line and the pressure guage and otherparts under the constant pressure of use.

I will look tonight and see if it is do able.

Randy Meijer
06-07-2006, 2:49 AM
If you don't want to try your hand at welding it, and want to solder it, try using silver solder. Much tougher than regular solder

I second Steve's suggestion although I bet the JB Weld would work just fine.....even on the external surface....as long as you do a good job of cleaning the surface. Only thing I wonder about is whether the JBW patch would "pop off" after a while due to the expansion and contraction of the tank with every pressurization.

OK.....now for a thought from the far side, I don't know exacty how big a "pin hole" is; but I did a few calculations just for fun. Didn't have a pin handy but did mike a needle and it measured 0.02". I'm guessing the hole in Julio's tank is muchg smaller;but who knows how much?? Anyway, I calculated the actual force of the air escaping from a couple of different sized holes with the following result;

0.02" hole.....0.6 oz.
0.01" hole.....0.2 oz
0.001" hole.....0.002 oz.

The forces calculate to be exceedingly small. Suggests that a JBW patch or even just a dab of regular epoxy might work.....even a dab of Shoe Goo or silicone sealant??

Julio Navarro
06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
WOW, this place is just chuck full of wisdon, I am impressed every time I ask a question.

Thanks P.

This may help, if you are curious about the size of the hole:
It takes aproxx. 5 minutes for enough air to escape to lower the air pressure from 100psi to 80psi when the compressor turns back on (not exactly at 80psi, of course) I will time it tonight to see exactly how long it takes for a measured pressure drop.

The hole is not visible but the ssssssss is audible, obviously, the tank is painted black so that may also hide the hole from these old eyes.

Wes Bischel
06-07-2006, 1:38 PM
Julio,
Don't forget the old soapy water trick to make sure you have the exact location.

Good luck!

Wes

Norman Hitt
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
WOW, this place is just chuck full of wisdon, I am impressed every time I ask a question.

Thanks P.

This may help, if you are curious about the size of the hole:
It takes aproxx. 5 minutes for enough air to escape to lower the air pressure from 100psi to 80psi when the compressor turns back on (not exactly at 80psi, of course) I will time it tonight to see exactly how long it takes for a measured pressure drop.

The hole is not visible but the ssssssss is audible, obviously, the tank is painted black so that may also hide the hole from these old eyes.

Julio, I know you said the unit was just out of warranty, Buuuut.......it sounds to me like it was a faulty weld, probably just didn't go far enough on the overlap at the end of the weld and a little slag pocket formed. I'm not real sure that thay might not still warranty the tank just to look at it for QC purposes. I think I would call their customer Service and tell them what has developed, and that it is way too soon for quality welds to start leaking and ask them if they wouldn't replace it so they could look at it to improve their mfg process. Who knows, you might get a new one.:D It's worth a try anyhow.

Julio Navarro
06-08-2006, 1:42 PM
Julio, I know you said the unit was just out of warranty, Buuuut.......it sounds to me like it was a faulty weld, probably just didn't go far enough on the overlap at the end of the weld and a little slag pocket formed. I'm not real sure that thay might not still warranty the tank just to look at it for QC purposes. I think I would call their customer Service and tell them what has developed, and that it is way too soon for quality welds to start leaking and ask them if they wouldn't replace it so they could look at it to improve their mfg process. Who knows, you might get a new one.:D It's worth a try anyhow.

I tried that already, Norman, Its a HF compressor and they could careless, heres the reply to my email:

"My apologies for the inconvenience you have incurred. --

Ellen Marie Piles"

And that was the end of that.

I have since decided not to buy any more HF tools. Its been very hard as I still get their offers and coupons and the low prices are still as enticing as ever.

Jim Davenport
06-08-2006, 3:01 PM
I tried that already, Norman, Its a HF compressor and they could careless, heres the reply to my email:

"My apologies for the inconvenience you have incurred. --

Ellen Marie Piles"

And that was the end of that.

I have since decided not to buy any more HF tools. Its been very hard as I still get their offers and coupons and the low prices are still as enticing as ever.

I would take it back to the HF store. I believe the one in Tampa is on Fletcher. I used to go there before they opened the one in Largo.
Harbor Freight is pretty good about exchanges, my buddy went through three regulators, before he got a good one.
I have serious reservations about making repairs on a pressure vessel. (see hand grenade in the dictionary). I've seen one that blew up, very impressive. Is it just a "pinhole", or a invisible crack waiting to expand?:eek:

Julio Navarro
06-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I think I fixed the leak. I tried JB Weld on Friday but it kept leaking. Somehow the leak would move and find the weakest spot throught he JB Weld. I might not have applied it very well, or perhaps I didnt wait long enough.

I removed the JB Weld and soldered the joint with silver bead solder as, Steve Clardy suggested, and it seems to have worked. The good thing about solder is that it seeps into the hole as it liquifies thereby sealing nicely..

Ive left the compressor at 100psi for 3 days now and it still hasnt cycled through.

So I guess it is fixed.

P.S. As Michael said, be sure to leave the vent and petcock open as it gets hot inside if you ever do this. I used a benzine torch. I could hear the moisture inside the tank boiling!

Thanks all for your help.

Jim Bell
06-13-2006, 2:07 AM
Silver solder is used on a/c joints and can withstand pressures in excess of 300 psi routinely and I have seen cases where a spot weld w/ ss exceeded 400 psi with no difficulties.
Jim