PDA

View Full Version : What glue to use?

Jeff Kuykendall
06-06-2006, 1:07 PM
I think I have finally gathered everthing I need to start turning pens except glue and whatever finish to use. If anyone has any suggestions on glues I would love to hear them. Also any suggestions on finish.

Thanks, Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2006, 1:17 PM
I use CA glue and sometimes epoxy. I also use EEE-Ultra Shine from Penn State Industries and Mylands Friction Polish on pens. I have started using Deft Lacquer on pens and really like the finish it gives. You are going to get 50 different opinions.

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-06-2006, 1:26 PM
For near instant satisfaction use CA glue to put the tube in the pen. You can use 30 min epoxy and do several pens at once but you need to let them set for a while to setup. I usually try to glue up tomorrows pens when using epoxy. you will find thin and medium CA will be your go to glue for pens. you can find bulk 2 and 4 oz bottles onthe net fairly easily or Woodcraft and Rockler have it on the shelf.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Roger

Mike Vickery
06-06-2006, 1:31 PM
I use 90 second epoxy to glue the tubes and use CA as a finish on 95% of my pens.

99% of people use either CA, Epoxy, or poly glue to glue in their tubes. I have tried them all and only use epoxy now, but all work and have advantages and disadvantages.

If you are a begginner pen turner Mylands friction polish might be better to start off with than ca as a finish. I highly recommend Micro Mesh for final sanding of your pens and especially if you try a ca finish.

Jeff Kuykendall
06-06-2006, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys, This helps alot.

Jeff Moffett
06-06-2006, 4:08 PM
Jeff, I'm no expert, but I have turned about 100 pens so far. I used CA glue in the first 30 or 40 pens, and out of that group two of them developed cracks a month or two later. Another turner, who I would consider an expert, told me that CA glue is hard, brittle, and not very forgiving. If the wood moves at all, cracks will develop. He suggested that I use Gorilla (poly) glue because it will allow for some movement. The disadvantage is I have to wait longer before I can begin turning a pen blank (I usually let them dry overnight), but I haven't had any cracks since making the switch.

Frank Fusco
06-06-2006, 4:28 PM
This is one of those questions that will produce thirty opinions from ten people. I use epoxy, five min. usually. I'm not in a hurry to start so letting set overnight isn't a problem. Poly is just too messy and can push your tubes out causing unneeded problems.

Dennis Peacock
06-06-2006, 6:42 PM
I've used a lot of Poly-glue as well as epoxy. I've used CA before but have preferred using either Poly or Epoxy with Epoxy being my preferred glue. Hundreds of pens later? No problems.

Gary Max
06-07-2006, 6:07 AM
Heck lets make this more fun----I use them all---just depends on what I am doing and how fast does it have to be done. This would apply to everything from glue to finish. So there really ain't no one great way to go.