PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor handrail finishing

Bill Eshelman
06-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I am making three handrails for the front of the building at my day job. I used white oak and it is fast approaching finishing time. I was wondering if one of you fine woodworkers could direct me to some info on a good way to finish them. They are in direct sun and weather 24/7 - 365.
Thanks, I will post some pics when they are installed.

Bill E

tod evans
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM
bill, start here for the first coat..02 tod

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1268&familyName=Smiths+Warm+CPES+Epoxy&history=8siis0k1%7Ctop_category%7Cpage%7EGRID%5Eca tegoryName%7EEpoxy%2Band%2BAdhesives%5EcategoryId% 7E203%40b63nfq9n%7Cother%7Crefine%7E1%5Epage%7EGRI D%5EcategoryName%7EWood%2BRot%5EcategoryId%7E609

Richard Wolf
06-06-2006, 7:10 PM
Finishing outdoor wood is always a difficult task. I would suggest a trip to the marine supply store. They have all the products which are fit for server exposure. Oils work well but need to be reapplied quite often. Spar varnish and Helmsmen varnish look great but are a bear to take care of. Like tod said, epoxy encapulation is a little difficult to apply but will most likely give the longest service.

Richard

Steve Schoene
06-06-2006, 8:30 PM
The Smith and Co. epoxy is water thin. After two or three coats of that you still need to apply a top coat with UV protection. Marine spar varnish is probably the most durable fully clear finish. Epifanes Clear Gloss, Interlux Schooner, or Pettitt Captains are generally considered the top brands, and would probably last twice as long as lesser brands available in paint stores or the big boxes--believe the manufacturer's recommendation as to the number of coats. Twice as long may only be two years perhaps three before it would need light sanding and addition of another coat. (And if this is below the Mason Dixon line annual addition of a new coat might be needed.) After a number years, it is likely to need to be stripped and the process begun again.

A good exterior enamel (a marine paint would work very well if the colors were acceptable.) would have a considerably longer maintenance interval.

For near zero maintenance: stainless steel.

Al Willits
06-07-2006, 9:15 AM
Just wondering if most of the stuff that's been reccomended would work for most basic projects that end up outside?
I'm thinking projects like bench's, flower pots, outside shelving, stairs and maybe even decks.

I see the Z Spar Flagship varnish is about $23 a qt, much cheaper than the marine varnish Woodcraft sells for $35 a qt...

Considering the wife's honey do list includes most of them projects, I'm figuring on buying a couple gallons. :)

Al

Bill Eshelman
06-07-2006, 9:19 AM
Why didn't I think of that? Stainless or even chrome would last till I quit and start wood working for a living.:)
Hopefully the wood will too.

Thanks for all the advice. I went shopping last night and settled on Cabot oil. Seems they will need a refresher every two years no matter what I do so I went the economical route.;)

I'll post some pics when they are installed.

tod evans
06-07-2006, 9:21 AM
al, call jamestown distributors and ask their recomendations. my theory on outdoor stuff is that if it`ll work on a boat it`ll do fine in the yard...02 tod

Al Willits
06-07-2006, 9:43 AM
Thanks Todd, I just sent them a email, and I'll let ya know what they say.

Al

Al Willits
06-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I emailed Jamestown and they did reply, in my quest to post their reply it seems to have disapeared....
Anyway, the high points were that their Z Spar Flagship varnish is their best, and that reapplying every year was probably going to be needed, painting was a better idea they thought, but the wife disagrees on painting the plant boxes.

Al who'll be reapplying each year....per SWMBO

Howard Acheson
06-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Tod, the point with epoxy is that it rapidly deteriorates when exposed to the UV in sunlight. Using it as a stand alone finish is not a long term solution. It MUST be heavily over coated with a good marine exterior varnish. I'm not talking about the consumer stuff available at most big boxes. True marine exterior finishes are found at marinas or marine supply stores.

tod evans
06-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Tod, the point with epoxy is that it rapidly deteriorates when exposed to the UV in sunlight. Using it as a stand alone finish is not a long term solution. It MUST be heavily over coated with a good marine exterior varnish. I'm not talking about the consumer stuff available at most big boxes. True marine exterior finishes are found at marinas or marine supply stores.

howard that`s why i said" start here for the first coat" .02 tod