PDA

View Full Version : MS Word/computer help needed

Frank Fusco
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
For several months now, when trying to print documents I have created with MS Word, most of the document will not print. e.g. a 400 page document will print all but the first ten pages. A recent five pager will only print page 4. The page numbers do print but the text won't. Someone told me I have password protected the documents but I don't use a password on my computer. Anybody out there able to help with this?

Jerry Clark
06-06-2006, 4:42 PM
Maybe with the 400 page document you have the printer to print the last page first and it runs out of memory:o . Cannot help with the five page document!:) I use WordPerfect.

John Miliunas
06-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Might be a long-shot, Frank but, I think the first thing I would do is to check and see if there are any updated drivers for your printer. :) :cool:

Ian Barley
06-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Frank

What sort of printer? Is it throwing blank pages where the pages should be printed or just throwing the printed sheets? Can you try printing the documents to another printer? If not can you email them to somebody else to see if they print elsewhere? How is the printer connected to the CPU (Direct/Network?)

Some printers have special escape code sequences which go to "page control language" which is effectively executed as code by the printer rather than as text. (Kyocera used to use !R! as the on switch and again as the off switch). Any chance that these may be contained in your document? Does everything show up alright on a print preview? If you choose to print only the current page while on one of the non-printing pages what happens? What if you nominate the page number?

There are a million variables to this and the above info may help to pin some of them down. I suspect that reloading the printer drivers using newest available drivers won't do any harm.

I think the password is a coloured fish. If you had a password then you would not be able to open/change the documents without inputting it.

Doug Shepard
06-06-2006, 8:28 PM
Not sure if the same applies to Word, but in MS Excel there's a 'Set Print Area' function (IIRC it's on the 'File' menu) that's very often the culprit when someone tells me they couldn't print the whole spreadsheet I emailed them at work. Dont have Word here on my home PC so I cant check, but if it's there try doing a Edit->Select All, then a 'Set Print Area'.

Chuck Wintle
06-06-2006, 8:28 PM
For several months now, when trying to print documents I have created with MS Word, most of the document will not print. e.g. a 400 page document will print all but the first ten pages. A recent five pager will only print page 4. The page numbers do print but the text won't. Someone told me I have password protected the documents but I don't use a password on my computer. Anybody out there able to help with this?
which version of word are you using?

Frank Fusco
06-09-2006, 2:46 PM
which version of word are you using?

I am using MS Word 2002

Rick Doyle
06-09-2006, 3:35 PM
hi frank,

does seem like a strange problem but i'm wondering if the page numbering in msword is causing this. so, i'd start there personally. if you make a copy of your original document and change it to remove all 'page numbering' functions, will it print all pages correctly?

Chip Charnley
06-09-2006, 3:47 PM
Frank,

If you have a doc that is giving you this problem and you are willing to let me have, I'll see if I can help figure it out. First step is to determine if it's the document or your system. Sending me the doc will decide that. If it's the doc, as a member of the desktop support group for a Fortune 100 company, I have access to some pretty good experts on Word. If it's not the doc itself, then maybe I can get some pointers for other things to look at.

In any event, if you want to go down this rat hole, I will PM you my email address.

Chuck Wintle
06-09-2006, 5:02 PM
Frank,
Have you tried to reprint the 400 page document but only the first 10 pages?

Curt Harms
06-09-2006, 5:28 PM
I haven't used Word much, use WordPerfect mostly. I did download Open Office to play with. Open Office is reputed to do quite a good job of opening and saving Microsoft Office files. Open Office is a free download, would it be worth a download? It's a 50some meg download so not a good idea with dial-up:rolleyes:

Curt

Frank Fusco
06-12-2006, 6:03 PM
Frank,

If you have a doc that is giving you this problem and you are willing to let me have, I'll see if I can help figure it out. First step is to determine if it's the document or your system. Sending me the doc will decide that. If it's the doc, as a member of the desktop support group for a Fortune 100 company, I have access to some pretty good experts on Word. If it's not the doc itself, then maybe I can get some pointers for other things to look at.

In any event, if you want to go down this rat hole, I will PM you my email address.

Thanks, but it is an unsold novel I haven't fully copyrited yet. I'll post an update below.

Frank Fusco
06-12-2006, 6:04 PM
I sent this to my friends who tried to help.

<<< To all who I may have originally bugged with this annoying MS Word problem:

If you have forgotten, or don't care, the problem is that, with large documents, printing from last page to first, the last ten pages to print (pages 1-10) will not print except for the pagination.
I have asked a score of smart people for help with this, none had the solution. I have contacted several experts, none had the solution.
Dell didn't have a solution.
Microsoft, on their pay for support service, could not resolve this.
But, it seems, Microsoft does not like cases closed unresolved. Earlier today I got a call from MS and we set up an appointment for one of their top solutions people to call me.
She did, a nice India girl named "Joan". She installed a live contact system whereby she could take control of my computer. It was weird watching the arrow move around and do stuff without my input.
But we did learn something. This problem was not, until today, in Microsoft's database. Of all the hundreds of millions of people in the world that use MS Word, I am the first. Lucky me.
She was not able to solve the problem. Tried everything, un/re install Word, un/re install printer and lots more.
Wasted lots of paper and ink.
Only time those pages would print was when the pagination was removed. This confirms, to me, my theory that some kind of gremlin coding is causing the problem. But she could not fix it, even by removing formatting.
She did copy one of the guilty documents, supposedly for the geek squad to analyze. We have an appointment for the 22nd for her to call back, hopefully, with a solution.
I am ready to dump Microsoft, PCs and Word and switch to Apple and Word Perfect.
Frank

Chuck Wintle
06-12-2006, 7:26 PM
I sent this to my friends who tried to help.

I am ready to dump Microsoft, PCs and Word and switch to Apple and Word Perfect.
Frank
Frank,
Have you tried Open Office? I may be an alternative for you and it is free to download.

Frank Fusco
06-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Frank,
Have you tried Open Office? I may be an alternative for you and it is free to download.

A friend suggest that also. I sell my writing and .doc is a must in the industry. But, I suppose I could use OO and paste into Word. Dunno. Would rather have the problem solved.

John Miliunas
06-13-2006, 9:43 AM
Frank, my apologies if I missed it, but I can't seem to find info on what brand/type of printer you have there??? :confused: :) :cool:

Rick Gibson
06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I use open office exclusively. I had an earlier version of word 97 and when they kept changing it to the point where I couldn't read half the docs sent to me I switched to open office. The latest version seems to do a good job of importing from and exporting to word or any of the other forms out there I have tried. Some macro's don't import exactly right but they work. Seems to stick some extra line feeds in the macro, but if your are not using macros it should work great. Best of all it's free and constantly being updated.

Curt Harms
06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
and Excel & PowerPoint files as well. As for fidelity of complex documents, I don't know. OO and WordPerfect have "Save As" options under "file" WordPerfect will save .doc files as well, but again don't know about the fidelity. Works fine for simple documents. If true open file formats ever take hold, time to sell Microsoft stock.:eek:

Curt

Jim Becker
06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I also "converted" to OpenOffice awhile back. I saw no purpose in upgrading my MS Office license and have had no issues with passing documents and presentations back and forth between OO on my personal machine and MS Office Pro on my work machine. "Free" is a very nice price!

Chuck Wintle
06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Frank,
I think there is the .doc extension in OO. I can open and close word files with OO that have the .doc extension.

Chip Charnley
06-13-2006, 1:22 PM
Thanks, but it is an unsold novel I haven't fully copyrited yet. I'll post an update below.

Trust me, I understand. My wife is a published Romance novelist. Good luck. MS support can be a mixed bag but, if you can get through the layer of clay (and it sounds like you did), it will almost assuredly be fixed. The problem for you is when. Given the lack of repeatability with other customers, I am betting not until the next Service Pack which is a ways away. But who knows. We generate a lot of this type of thing with MS at work and I am sometimes surprised how quickly some things get fixed without high urgency.