PDA

View Full Version : Glue Up Question

Ken Wright
06-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm in the process of building a flag case for a friend's recently deceased Father. A triangular glue up appears to be outside my imagination. :confused:

Any suggestions on how to clamp the case for tight glue up??

Thanks.

Jesse Cloud
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM
probably the easiest, cheapest way is to use some scrap to make complementary triangles so that when you place them against the flag case the angles add up to 90 degrees, then use regular clamps. If need be, you can use 2 sided tape or some hot melt to stick the blocks onto the case during glue up. Definitely want to practice a dry run before you apply the glue.
Good luck and send us a pic or two!

glenn bradley
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
What Jesse said or strap clamps with appropriate corner pads.

Gary Breckenridge
06-06-2006, 1:16 PM
:cool: I'm making a pentagon box and I used giant heavy duty rubber bands and wax paper.:cool:

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-06-2006, 1:25 PM
I've made probably 20 flag cases over the years, and never did find a 'good' way to clamp them up that was worry free. Every time was a mini-nightmare. :mad:

I hate yellow glues, but this is one occasion where I'd be using the highest-tack, fastest setting one I could find. The biggest problem I remember having is things slipping around when using a band clamp. As I recall, on my most 'successful' glue-ups, I gllue the 45 at the top first and let that dry, then worried about the bottom. Several different ways to make the bottom joints. Cutting a 'true' mitre (67-1/2 degrees?) was the most difficult to glue.

What you might try is cutting all the joints, gluing the 45, then cutting a triangle that just fits in the finished size frame. You need to keep the bottom piece from 'slipping' upwards when (however) you clamp it.

Hope this helps! :o

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2006, 1:37 PM
For weird geometries I like to make a bolt circle that will enclose the geometry . I lay that out on sturdy chunk of wood (usually my bench top) drill some holes and drive in some 1" diameter dowels. Then I use little wedges.

Charlie Plesums
06-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Most of the flag cases I have seen include a screw-attached bottom... the flag, back, and glass are slid in from the bottom. The top is a 90 degree angle (not an equilateral triangle) so it can be clamped to a square board.

See the plan used by our local woodworkers club for community service projects... www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/Plans/FlagCase.pdf (http://www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/Plans/FlagCase.pdf)

Ken Wright
06-12-2006, 9:54 AM
As usual with me I got sidetracked trying to take care of some "fix its" on a house that I've had for sale for almost 6 months that went under contract the day I posted this request for help.

Didn't want to appear ungrateful for the suggestions you guys made but this is my first opportunity to get back to the Creek. I think I may try a combination of several of the suggestions ... glue the two sides first using a jig set on MDF and angle blocks ... haven't finished thinking it through but will get back with a post of the madness of the methodology and the finished product should it appear worth of display.

Thanks again for the replies.

Getting the umbrella ready for Alberto.:eek:
/ken