PDA

View Full Version : Tool Question???

Christopher K. Hartley
06-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Does anyone use Jerry Glaser Tools and are they really worth the extra money. The handled ones range from about $100 to $200 per tool. Only two are in the $50 range. Any info about them would be helpful. Thanks,:)

Reed Gray
06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I have 2 of his tools. As with all of the 'stays sharp 3 to 5 times longer' tools, they do keep a working edge a lot longer than the M2 steel, but don't seem to keep that fresh off the grinder edge much longer. I like the heft, and the shot filled handles. I have one of the deep fluted gouges which seems to work better on the outside of the bowl than in the inside. Part of that is that I tend to hog off 1/2 inch wide cuts, and the narrower flute will jam with chips, and the nose gets burried in the cut and starts to catch. I also have one of the deep bowl gouges which I use a lot on the bigger, deeper bowls to go across the bottom where the 'Elsworth' grind gouges can't reach. I like it a lot, but any other gouge will work also. You can do without them, but they are a very nice tool
robo hippy

Reed Gray
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I have 2 of his tools. As with all of the 'stays sharp 3 to 5 times longer' tools, as far as I am concerned, they do keep a working edge a lot longer than the M2 steel, but don't seem to keep that fresh off the grinder edge much longer. I like the heft, and the shot filled handles. I have one of the deep fluted gouges which seems to work better on the outside of the bowl than in the inside. Part of that is that I tend to hog off 1/2 inch wide cuts, and the narrower flute will jam with chips, and the nose gets burried in the cut and starts to catch. The deeper flute doesn't seem to do the scraping cut as well either, and I like that cut some times, primarily as a remove a lot of material in a hurry cut. This cut also seems to clog up the flute. I also have one of the deep bowl gouges which I use a lot on the bigger, deeper bowls to go across the bottom where the 'Elsworth' grind gouges can't reach. I like it a lot, but any other gouge will work also. You can do without them, but they are a very nice tool
robo hippy

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 2:21 PM
Glaser's tooling is considered top-end and very well made. I don't own, but have used. Nice stuff.

Doug Thompson
06-06-2006, 3:32 PM
The A-11 will last longer just because it's a better steel and the aluminum handles are a great idea because of the extra weight, also the balance point is farther back away from the blade. IMO the handles should be longer.

Jump on soapbox... sorry if I offend anyone.

IMO - the price of turning tools has gone haywire. Tools are hyped to a point people will pay anything to buy a name. The cost to make a tool is small compared to the selling price... then what (who)are we paying for??? There is a tool coming out this month that will hold a edge better than anything else but at what cost? Would you make a finish cut with a tool that hasn't been sharpened for a while... roughing cuts would be fine. I don't mind paying a fair price for a quality tool but it has gone too far. Turning should be fun and not a burden to your wallet. Wait till after the symposium.

Sorry, this is a subject that burns me... not the tool but priceing.

Step off soapbox

I do own 13 Glaser tools... some still in the brown wrapper. Went a little overboard...

Andy Hoyt
06-06-2006, 3:33 PM
A good friend just gave me one that he didn't care for that had been sent to him by Glaser for trial a number of years ago. It's an early prototype of his 5/8" bowl gouge, and I like it!

Seems to hold an edge good enough and long enough for me, is nice and HEAVY. It's a bit tricky to sharpen on the usual grinding wheels, but I'm learning.

I think I read recently that Glaser sold the business and the new owner will be doing a big roll out promotion at the AAW confab in Louisville.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-06-2006, 3:56 PM
Thanks everyone. this helps.