PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 Dovetail Jig

Jay Knoll
06-06-2006, 9:48 AM
Hi everyone

Well, Amazon came through on Friday and while I was waiting for the mirror company to finish their part of my bathroom remodel I thought I'd try this out.

Overall I would say that this is an easy jig to use Here are some pics of the results of my first practice project (don't know if I'll put a base on it)

On the back side one pin has a bit of tearout caused by me neglecting to get the clamp down tight.

I had to fuss a bit with my plunge router to get the depth correct, I think I'll buy a simple basic router and dial in the depth and leave it for that job alone.

A question that I can't seem to find the answer to in the manual. Should I route some of the sides on the left hand side of the jig and others on the right? I seem to recall reading about this somewhere but I can't remember where.

All in all, for the money and based on my very limited experience, this seems like a good jig for the money.

Jay

Von Bickley
06-06-2006, 9:51 AM
Jay,

Those look GREAT......;)

Alan Tolchinsky
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Jay, I don't remember ever doing the "switching sides" thing you mentioned. What would be the purpose of this?
BTW great looking joint!

glenn bradley
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I think you'll be happy if you get a dedicated router. I picked up a small Milwaukee on sale that has the 'body grip' and a micro adjust feature. It's been working well.

Allen Bookout
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Jay,

Great looking dovetails! I do not know about the PC4212 but with the Akeda, as referrenced by CPeter James in a post, if your spaceing is closer to one side of the piece than the other you need to use one side of the jig for cutting the left pieces and the other side to cut the right pieces. I know the the PC4212 is fixed spaceing but I suppose there could be a possibility that you want to shift the dovetails closer to the top or the bottom and this situation could arise. It may not apply to you at all or you may be thinking about something else.

I do not think that I made that very clear but I hope that it is at least understandable.

I am going to see if I can find that post. Here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=359302#post359302

I agree with Glenn. I have the Milwaukee 5615 and it is really good for a fixed base router. The 5616 has to be a great router also. Both models would require either a Milwaukee bushing set or a new base plate to handle the PC bushings. I see that the price of the PC 690lr is pretty good right now )Toolking and Amazon - $122 to $128) and I have been thinking about getting one of those. Have never used one so do not have any personal input.

Allen

Jay Knoll
06-06-2006, 1:31 PM
Thanks guys, yes Alan I guess that was the post I was thinking about -- guess I'll wait until the fall to buy a router, we take off a week from Thursday and I don't want to have deliveries in limbo while we're gone.

Jay