PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Belt/Disc sander

Michael Merrill
06-06-2006, 9:43 AM
I just purchased a smaller Craftsmen sanding unit, my shop is only 13X22 so space is at a premium. I have a interchangable table system for my small jointer/plane/oscilating sander and will also incorporate the belt/disc.

Most of the smallest 6"disc and 4"X36" models are so small I decided to try this 8"disc with the 4"x36"belt. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921520000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Sanders&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Does anyone have any experiance with this model? Good? Bad? Not 100% sure it's staying in the shop yet.

Thanks.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2006, 9:54 AM
I just picked up a 6" x 48" crapsman model for $40.00 used (very used).

I do not like the adjustment on the belt spindle. It's a crappy coarse lobed cam.

John Brennaman
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with Cliff. I picked up a used Craftsman combination belt/disc sander. The lobed adjustments make it next to impossible to get the belt to track properly.

Mike Weaver
06-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek!

First, according to th Terms Of Use, you need to use your real first and last name. Send an email/PM to Jackie Outten and she can get that fixed for you.

Now, I have not used that particular model, but I have a mid-late 80's vintage 6x48/disk combo and it works fine.

I also got mine used and yes, the adjustment mechanism is not the greatest, but it works well for my hobby use (my Bill Pentz cyclone keeps the dust away nicely, provided I hold the flex hose close to the object being sanded...and being careful to not suck it out of my hands).

For anyone inclined, Enco has a bunch of 6x48 belts on sale - I just picked up an assortment, from 40 grit ZA all the way up to 320 AO.

YMMV, but that's my take.

Good Luck, and again - Welcome!
-Mike

John Bush
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I had a Craftsman 6" belt/9" disc combo and used the belt quite a bit. I found the disc was difficult to use for larger pieces. If your needs are for sanding/shaping smaller components, this size would be OK. For larger stuff I think you will ultimately be dissapointed. I now have a 6"x80" edge sander(Griz1140 and will at some point get a spindle sander) and it is much better for larger pieces. It takes up more space, but is light weight and moves easily in a small shop. Good luck, John.

glenn bradley
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I't seems like I'm "Mr. Craftsman" sometimes when I write here because I have thier TS, BS and Sander but I really do have an equal amount of DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. . . really.

I have the 6" (about a year old) and have no problems with belt tracking. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought the similarly proced Delta or other with better dust collection. The Craftsman has a 1 1/4" outlet at the disc and one for the belt. Pretty inefficient. The Delta and others use a combination housing feeding to a 2 1/4. Other than that it's been fine for work that doesn't exceed its capacity and it's light enough to move from place to place.

Michael Merrill
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I'd like to go with the larger 9"/6"X48" models but not enough space. Those weight in over 100# making it not so portable for my interchange table.

The small table for the disc is OK but the knob for adjusting the angle is already a problem. Was wondering if anyone has had this exact model before I commit for the long haul on it. It's easy to return now as it's 1 week old and only run about 5 minutes.

Mike Weaver - Tried to create with my full name but it seemed to be taken already?????

Ken Salisbury
06-06-2006, 1:44 PM
Like Mike said:

In order to be a bona fide member of Sawmill Creek you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration information accordingly.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif
</O:p

Larry Klaaren
06-06-2006, 1:53 PM
I have that Crafstman sander. Other than the small table I have no problems, no complaints. I use it quite a bit.

Larry

Loren Hedahl
06-06-2006, 2:12 PM
I have had the Delta for 5 - 6 years with the 6 inch disc. I bought a hook/loop conversion disc from Porter Cable and glued it on the Delta disc. Works great. Now I can change paper grits almost on the fly.

There isn't anything to rant or rave about -- it's just a decent working belt/disc sander. Does what I ask of it with no problem.

Bart Leetch
06-06-2006, 4:15 PM
I looked at these 2 combination sanders. The Delta & the Grizzly G1014Z. The Delta had a lot of pot metal, sheet metal & plastic & aluminum & no DC hook ups.. The Grizzly was cast iron & had DC hook ups for the large Vac hose on both the disk & belt. The Grizzly cost less then the Delta & has worked great. Oh by the way my shop is 13'5" x 24'5" so this really isn't a problem. The Photos don't show the DC hook up on the Grizzly but they are there.

Bruce Page
06-06-2006, 6:01 PM
M,
I had the Delta version and it was fine for light duty sanding. It was a little tricky to get the belt to track correctly, but once it was set it stayed that way.

Michael Merrill
06-10-2006, 3:24 PM
Well, I returned the Craftsmen sander today. The man reason was the threaded area the accepts the table adjustment was stipped and wouldn't allow the table to be tightened well. I looked at the construction and it just has a hex nut on the inside of the casting that is tack welded to hold it in place. I just figured I have to spend to much time fixing this thing.

So now that I'm back with my $170 returned in back in the market. I need to look at the Grizzly but I'm open to suggestions. This model craftsmen did seem like a nice comprimise as it had the same belt as other small units but it had the upsized 8" disc not the 6". I do need something portable to swap onto my interchange table.

Please pass on any ideas?