PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom remodel nears completion

Jay Knoll
06-06-2006, 9:26 AM
Hi everyone

Well, I haven't been posting a lot, been involved in the longest remodel in history! Started the tear down for the bathroom in March, just hung the mirror yesterday. (Lots of delays for tile, installers, etc)

Still are waiting for towel bars etc, but other than that things are functional.

The original was white white white, stock builders Formica vanity with a single drop in bowl. Black grout on the tiles.

Here are some pics of the after

The vanity is maple and cherry, the cabinet over the commode is maple and a piece of ply I found in my scrap pile, I don't have a clue what that wood is but we like it (back is birch). The shower seat is Spanish cedar, lots of varnish but it isn't slippery when you're sitting on it! I hung the cabinet on the wall with some low profile fittings from Rockler so I can lift it off if I have to work on the toilet. The mirror frame is maple and cherry.
I still have to fit out a few drawers with dividers for SWMBO

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 9:32 AM
Looking great, Jay!

Von Bickley
06-06-2006, 9:55 AM
Bet that makes Mama happy....

and when Mama's happy, everybody is happy.:)

Roy Wall
06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Jay -

That's a seriously nice UPGRADE!!!! Great work on the drawers and the cabinet!! Looks terrific!

Chris Daigh
06-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Sweet, I love the sinks. Exactly what I would like to do with our bathroom. Excellent job.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Jay, That looks beautiful! I really like the contrasting woods in the cabinets. What finish did you use on them? Finishing question? I'm always trying to keep maple as light as possible for a better contrast but have found only water based poly will do this.

Jay Knoll
06-06-2006, 1:44 PM
Thanks everyone

Alan, the finish is water based poly, it was a pain to put on. I put 4 coats on, then sanded down and put a few more coats on using a microfiber cloth and just wiped litely. I'm not totally happy with the result but it will do for now

Jay

Alan Tolchinsky
06-06-2006, 4:17 PM
Yep, I know what you mean about wb poly but at least it does keep the light woods light. Thanks.