PDA

View Full Version : Pre screened credit card offers:

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2006, 9:11 AM
You are PRE-APPROVED !!!<o =""></o>
Pre screened credit card offers:<o =""></o>
Opting out of the game and why you might want to.<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Send a first class “opt-out” letter (I prefer certified receipt requested) to each of the four major credit bureaus. State your opt-out demand that your name no longer be included on the pre-screened lists which they sell. Including your phone number, name, ZIP code, mailing address, and Social Security Number to each bureau. If you've moved in the past six months, you should include your old address too.<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Send the SS number? Yah It’s offensive, but they already have it. That’s why I prefer certified mail. <o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Why you might want to do this is easy. Those pre screened offers the pre approved ones especially can be used to get some miserable identity thief a new shiny high performance credit card in your name with your SS# attached. <o =""></o>
The thief only has to have your SS number then she can simply run through your mail and find one a pre-approved card application. The SS # can come after the fact as there are lists of SS#s for sale. Sometimes these mail riflers are postal employees. Sometimes it’s a person scanning for vacation mail pile up. Sometimes it’s pure dumb luck on the thief’s part. It can even bee someone targeting you & checking your mail because they already have your SS#. You won’t ever miss that bit of junk mail till the credit bureaus start reporting the unpaid account.<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
If you are a Vet you might take doing this as a first step in protecting yourself from that data loss mess in the VA. <o =""></o>

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
You can do this with one phone call or via a web interaction--there is no need to send paper via the mail. The information is available at this FTC site (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/prescreen.htm). I haven't gotten any of the pre-approved offers for a couple years now outside of institutions I am a customer and if it were possible to stop them (it's not...), I would, too. Fortunately, that's what the shredder is for.

Ryan Ricks
06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I also opted out using the the information from the FTC site Jim posted. One call for all four credit bureaus, and it was an automated system (pretty easy one for a change!) It was one call, and they sent you a card to sign. If you did not sign the card you were opted out for 5 years (or possibly 2, cannot remember exactly). If you signed the card you were opted out indefinately. I did this a few moths ago - still getting offers but they are starting to decrease in number.

-Ryan

Kevin Beck
06-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I used the web site to opt out of these offers. The volume of offers has dropped about 95%. From 2 - 3 per day, to 2 -3 per month.

The shredder doesn't have to be emptied nearly as often now.

Kevin

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the link Jim

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-06-2006, 1:29 PM
I opted out of these for both Jean and I. She has a Chase mastercard she seldom uses (if ever, anymore). No eggageration...I shred five or six 'pre-approved' offers EACH WEEK for her from Chase.

KC

Rick Gibson
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll have to check and see if we have that in Canada. Right now I just shred and fill their postage paid envelope up with sale sheets etc and send it back. I mean you know they want it back why else would they make it postage paid.

Ken Garlock
06-07-2006, 3:03 PM
KC, I am glad that some one else is sharing my frustration. IF it isn't Chase, it is Citi. The only thing I want from my CC company is a monthly statement.

Rick, a man after my own heart.:) When the URW tried to organize the office workers at Firestone back in the late 60s, I would take all their mailings, remove my name/address, stuff it all back in the reply envelop, mark it airmail, special delivery, and mail the whole shebang back to them.:D

Rick Gibson
06-07-2006, 3:38 PM
Found the Canadian site to opt out. It's the Canadian Marketing Association. Found a link to it from the Canadian Govt. CRTC site. Not sure if links are allowed here or not they are on some forums and not on others. A google search brings it up at the top. Lets you opt out of telemarketers, mail and faxs from their members for 3 years. Won't work for all but if it gets rid of some of the junk it will be an improvement.

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 5:00 PM
Rick you can post the link. The only disallowed links are to other forums, auctions and promotional commercial posts or spam. We have a lot of Canadian members who can benefit from the information.

Roger Everett
06-07-2006, 7:58 PM
4 years ago I incorporated as an LLC. You want to get some unwanted mail and CC offers, incorporate. Every thing from bussiness stationary--preapproved cc offers to time clocks, and I don't punch no freakin time clock.
I recently did one of those " check your credit for free " things. Checking online with the 3 major credit reporting companies. I was surprized at the amount of banks and companies that have been checking my credit, but then I get offers every week for preapproved CC.
Roger

Jim Becker
06-07-2006, 8:59 PM
At least the pre-approval checks on your credit don't reflect badly on your scores...

Rick Gibson
06-08-2006, 8:52 AM
The link to the Canadian marketing association is http://www.the-cma.org/ and the actual page for the opt out form is on
https://cornerstonewebmedia.com/cma/submit.asp

I filled out the form yesterday and last night I got a call from another CC company, told the girl if I wanted their CC I would already have it. I have 3 cards now and only use one of them. It pays me 1% in Canadian tire funny money I can use at their store. Since I pay the bill in full every month anything I use the funny money for is free. Got my dewalt biscuit joiner and ROS for free that way.