PDA

View Full Version : Julie K Has a New Suit

Dave Richards
06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I just thought I'd share a photo that my bride took of the sailboat I built. she got a new suit of sails this year along with new standing rigging and a new gaff (the top spar on the mains'l). Don't look too close though. I still need to iron out a wrinkle or two.
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/MM2006/images/dsc03069.jpg

Tyler Howell
06-05-2006, 10:34 PM
She's a lovely lady. :cool:
All dressed up and ready to go.

Dave Richards
06-06-2006, 7:10 AM
Thanks Tyler. Unfortunately on Saturday she got bounced on some rocks by a passing barge so now I'm doing some keel repair.

Andy Hoyt
06-06-2006, 7:44 AM
Some excellent lines on that vessel! She's a beauty!

Howe about a close-up or two?

Art Mulder
06-06-2006, 9:32 AM
Yeah, what Andy said. Is there an older SMC thread wherein you describe and document the construction? How long did it take? Dimensions? Other info?

White sails are *so* prevalent, it is nice to see other colours.

best,
...art

Dave Richards
06-06-2006, 9:54 AM
Andy and Art, thank you.

I didn't document the build here on SMC. Most of it if not all took place before SMC existed. I built the boat over the course of about three years but there was only about 9 months of work. Actually that was up to launching. She's had a few modifications since then including the addition of the trolling motor. Seems like she's never quite finished although once I repair her keel, I think I'll leave her alone and just sail her.

The design is called The Weekender and if you like sleeping in a two person tent, you could do just fine. Of course there's no head or galley in the cabin so just like with a small tent, you have to go outside to do those things.

It was designed to be an inexpensive, quick and easy build for someone who has basic power tools, i.e. circular saw, electric or cordless drill and a belt sander. The idea was to allow folks without the money to buy a production boat with a cabin to get into sailing on a shoestring. The boat is over designed for strength and is very stable and forgiving for neophyte sailors. She'll still get up and go though if you sheet in the main.

Planned weight is about 500 pounds, mine with the mods and so on probably comes in at about 650 lbs. I've had 5 adults on board at one time. It was tight but there was plenty of freeboard left and no worries about sinking.

The hull is made mostly with regular exterior grade plywood. 1/2" for the bottom, 1/4" for the sides and 3/8" luan for the deck and cabin roof. The luan was chosen because it won't check with UV exposure like fir ply does. The hull and cabin sides are fiberglassed. The hatches are all luan ply that was sanded and varnished. Looks just like mahogany.

Here are a few more pictures. These are from before the new sails.

http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/jksolo3.jpg
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/tm13.JPG
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/jksolo4.jpg

The thing that started the idea for new sails was those nasty wrinkles in the old jib from being roller furled. I didn't like the way that looked in these pictures and started planning to just replace the jib. Then I decided I like the tanbark color so I had to have a new mains'l as well. It's like buying a new couch. You have to replace the drapes and the carpet, too.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2006, 9:59 AM
Dave......Nice looking boat! Though I've spent some time on the water, I've never been out on a sail boat. I'll bet it's fun and challenging!

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 9:59 AM
Beautiful vessel, Dave!!! Sorry to hear about the "close encounter" with the rocks...

Carl Eyman
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for posting pictures of such a fine boat. They triggered memories of many happy hours aboard my much loved "Bluebird".

skip coyne
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
whos the designer ? looks like something from Phil Bolger

Dave Richards
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Again, thank you all.

Ken, it is fun and challenging. There's something about figuring out how to get from point A to point B when you can't go straight there. A little bit of trimming here, slack that halyard there and she picks up speed. The wind is always different so the sailing is always different.

Building it was also fun and addictive. I've got my eyes on several different boats I want to build. I just can't decide on which to do first.

Carl, glad to share. Glad it brought back fond memories.

Skip, the boat was designed by the Stevenson's in California. I'd post a link to their site but it seems to be down right now. It was featured in a Pop Science or Pop Mechanics magazine back about 1981 or so.

Jerry Olexa
06-06-2006, 5:27 PM
Very nice work. Good looking boat and I'm sure its brings you lots of enjoyment!!

Frank Guerin
06-06-2006, 7:06 PM
The lake, the boat, the tree's. Some body would shoot me except for the fact I get to hang out with you guy's.
Nice. Ooooo so nice.

Marty Walsh
06-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Dave,

Great boat! You've mentioned it a few times, but this is the first I've seen her.

I have to tell you, I'm a powerboat person, and the thought of me building something that has to take me out on the water and back safely, gives me the willies!!! :eek:

You did a fantastic job. And I really like the non-white sails.

I'd mention other things I like about it, but that 'language' you're using has me lost.

"gaff, spar, jib, halyard, etc."

Heck, show me the throttle and how to trim the motor and I'll get you to the fish... ;)

Thanks for sharing...
- Marty -

Frank Pellow
06-06-2006, 11:06 PM
And a great looking new suit it is indeed!

Lars Thomas
06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
That's a beauty. I love it. Lars