PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Burl - Flat Top American....

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2006, 9:15 PM
My latest off the lathe. I am on a real pen making kick right now.. probably will get sick of my posts :D Anyway, this one is a Berea Flat Top American ball point in a chrome kit. Walnut Burl with a lacquer and TSW finish. This can be a tough kit from what I have read. Several people gave me some tips on pre assembly to help ensure no problems and it worked, this one works just fine. I will take this one to work and use it as some bait in the office ( hopefully) and when I am on the road on business as well. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-05-2006, 9:20 PM
Corey, that sure is a beautiful pen. I like that wood, and it goes very well with the Berea kit. Congratulations, and I hope your bait catches some big fish!

Ernie Nyvall
06-05-2006, 9:54 PM
Well you're certainly doing a fine job on your pens Corey and this one is no exception. Real nice.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2006, 9:54 PM
Corey absolutely awesome. Love the wood. The pen looks great and beautiful finish. Great job.

Dick Parr
06-05-2006, 9:58 PM
Looks Great Corey! ;)

Corey Hallagan
06-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks fellas! I appreciate it.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Corey..........You are really getting that pen making down to a science! Beautiful pen!

Barry Stratton
06-06-2006, 2:59 AM
Another SWEEEEEEET pen, Corey! Got to love the walnut.

Hey, how do you avoid tear out on walnut end grain? I've tried a couple X-cut figured blanks and there seems to be a couple spots that I just can't get smooth....

John Hart
06-06-2006, 7:17 AM
Look at that curl!!!. Great looking pen Corey! People who go on the road seem to have good luck in selling their pens....Hope it works for you too!!

Me?...I couldn't sell ice water in Death Valley.:o

Corey Hallagan
06-06-2006, 8:57 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words. Barry, I really haven't had much trouble on pens with walnut. It is an open grain wood so unless you fill it it will always have that open poor look, which I like that look. I don't fill any wood myself. Just haven't had any trouble with tear out though.
Corey