PDA

View Full Version : Period inspired tool box

Rob Millard
06-05-2006, 9:02 PM
I made this box to carry tools while demonstrating period woodworking techniques at a living history farm. The period of the farm is the 1880’s, so this box is not from the proper period, but I have no idea what tool boxes looked like in the 1880’s. The box is based on an example shown on page 240 of the January 2001 issue of The Magazine Antiques. I “Americanized” the box by adding an eagle inlay to the block that holds the saws.
The box measures 21 7/8” wide, 14 ¼” high, and 14” deep. It is made from mahogany, holly, cherry, satinwood, ebony and pine. It is finished with my standard lime and water mixture. It has the grain filled and is top-coated with shellac. The pulls and hinges are from Londonderry Brasses; the locks and side handles are from Lee Valley.
Rob Millard

harry strasil
06-05-2006, 9:23 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh, WWWOOOOOOWWW, Rob, I am jealous, and drooling.

That box is beautiful, and nice craftsmanship, It would be period for a finish carpenter or cabinetmaker of that period.

Jim Becker
06-05-2006, 9:38 PM
Not only is that exquisite...if it doesn't net you new customers, I don't know what will! That's really awesome, Rob! Truly a portable version of your furniture excellence.

Al Navas
06-05-2006, 9:41 PM
... but I have no idea what tool boxes looked like in the 1880’s...
Rob,

THAT is a gorgeous box! A fine display of workmanship and beautiful use of the various woods. Congratulations on a job well done!

Al

Ben Grunow
06-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Looks like it would be better at holding tools for eating (like fine silver) instead of saws and hammers. Wow. If you don't mid me asking, how many hours do you spend on a project like that (wood work/finishing)? And, do you actually get paid to do that all day every day or is it a hobby? Looks great.

Tyler Howell
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Rob.
I can tell you right now they didn't look like that.
That is more for the fine silver an jewels of the stately mansion.
Picture Police Seal of Approval

Lars Thomas
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Very impressive piece of work!

Alan Turner
06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Ben,
I'll be intersted in his # of hours as well, and yes, he does it for a living. Rob is one of the truly great Federal makers from the 1880's. ( : The # of hours will shock you. Im am guessing about 10 or so.

Rob -- Great work as always. I would be interested in how you chose to fit out the drawers, etc.

Steve Wargo
06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
And the Lord said "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's toolbox". Nice Rob. Makes my cheesy one look real bad. Excellent piece. Will there be a write up on your website about it? Again, very sweet.

Bruce Page
06-05-2006, 11:29 PM
That’s the nicest tool box I have ever had the pleasure to see!
Beautiful!

Larry Cooke
06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Rob,

Wow, I just don't have the words to describe what I feel looking at that box. That is one very well crafted tool box. Truly too good to actually be used.

Honestly, it's very beautiful, superb workmanship for sure. Thank you for sharing it!

Larry

Alan DuBoff
06-06-2006, 1:15 AM
Nice box, how did you do the moulding on the edge? Nice looking dovetails, great craftsmanship as always from your posts.

Michael Stafford
06-06-2006, 5:57 AM
That is a WOW piece for sure. Beautiful work!

Rob Millard
06-06-2006, 6:29 AM
The box is based on an English Gentlemen’s tool box c. 1800, which from my reading would have been sold to affluent “handymen” with the tools included.
The living history farm that I‘m volunteering at (see link below), recreates 1880’s Ohio farm life, and while I doubt they would have had much time for making furniture, they did have a woodshop. I work in the shop two Sundays a month, with the current project being a two drawer shaker sewing stand. I don’t get paid at the farm, but I do make period furniture full time, with an emphasis on the Federal Period.
I made the box concurrent with another project, so it is difficult to say exactly how many hours I have in it, but I guess in the 25-35 hour range. It is a very simple piece, it is the dramatic figure in the mahogany that sets the box off. The compartment inside the lid, has a lift out tray that holds chisels and a few other miscellaneous tools. A pair of winding sticks double as supports for the tray and allow for storing a few tools under it. The drawers on the originals, were divided, but I made mine open to allow more flexibility in what I can carry. Despite its small size, it can hold a surprising amount of tools, so many in fact that I had to make a double loop sling to go around my neck, just to be able to carry it into the farm. I have already dented and scratched the box, and while I knew it was inevitable, I wasn’t happy about it. I consoled myself by saying the first few dents are a tragedy and a bunch of dents are patina.
Thanks for all the comments.
Rob Millard
http://www.metroparks.org/_carriageHill/parkOverview.aspx

Mark Singer
06-06-2006, 8:38 AM
Rob,
That is excellent! I would never want to use it....just look at it! Excellent work and beautiful proportions!

tod evans
06-06-2006, 8:42 AM
very nice rob! you do some fantastic work. tod

Roy Wall
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Beautiful as always Mr. Millard!!

Did you use a beading tool around the drawer fronts....and here and there....?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Exquisite! Beautiful work!

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I “Americanized” the box by adding an eagle inlay to the block that holds the saws.
You say that like it was no big deal. Marquetry like that is way difficult.

Sweet box, very sweet.

Zahid Naqvi
06-06-2006, 3:51 PM
As usual, superb piece of workmanship.

Michael Morin dit Boucher
06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Rob,

Fine work...I would agree with Mark Singer....I would just put it on display. I would be interested in seeing the period tools you placed in this great piece...more pics perhaps?:)

Frank Fusco
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Exquisite. Looks too good for tools.

Mike Wenzloff
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Simply beautiful, Rob.

Take care, Mike

Chris Barton
06-09-2006, 7:59 AM
Hi Rob,

What an excellent tool box and I wouldn't expect anything less from you! Having just finished a Federal Period card table myself, I can appreciate the work that you put into this piece. Please post more of your projects!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-09-2006, 8:56 AM
Saw this too late. They said it ALL!

Congtats on a winning effort!

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
06-09-2006, 9:39 PM
Rob, that's insanely nice. The eagle really sets it off, but the entire piece is wonderful. And I'll go against the grain here and say yes, use it for tools...the intended purpose. It shows all that much more dedication to your craft, IMHO.

Bravo!

- Vughn

Corvin Alstot
06-09-2006, 9:41 PM
Rob/
You are simply amazing. You possess both speed and great craftmanship,
both wonderful gifts. Has you speed increased as your career progressed
or have you always had this ability.

Corvin

philip marcou
06-10-2006, 3:20 AM
Delightful piece Rob.Some questions:-
You have not recessed the bale holders for the handles- any specific reason? The boxes and chests that I am used to have these fittings recessed-I assume for additional strength rather than appearance.
It is not clear from the picture how you have treated the ends of the lid-have you moulded insitu or is there an attached moulding?
Alan is seeing dovetails-I am not despite clicking, enlarging etc- what gives?

Rob Millard
06-10-2006, 7:09 PM
Delightful piece Rob.Some questions:-
You have not recessed the bale holders for the handles- any specific reason? The boxes and chests that I am used to have these fittings recessed-I assume for additional strength rather than appearance.
It is not clear from the picture how you have treated the ends of the lid-have you moulded insitu or is there an attached moulding?
Alan is seeing dovetails-I am not despite clicking, enlarging etc- what gives?

Philip,
The original Gentlemen’s tool boxes, had lifting handles on the side, like I did on this one ( Williamsburg have several in their collection, and this box is based on one of those).
The moldings are applied. On the lid, they are slightly wider than the top is thick, and this extra width acts as a stop, keeping the lid from going too far back when open. I splined the moldings on, but time will tell if they stay tight, since they present a cross grain situation.
I attached 3 photos in the initial post, one showing the overall box, another with the drawer open a bit, revealing the dovetails, and one of the eagle. I don’t know why you are not seeing all three photos. The box itself is dovetailed together with half blind dovetails, but these are hidden by an applied strip, with a bead cut on its edge.
Rob Millard

philip marcou
06-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Rob, strangely I see only two images-no dovetails.
I was referring to the side carrying handles when asking about recessing them-the two ends into which the bale fits.
I post pictures of a large jewellery box-here I built up the *lid edges by glueing a cross grain strip to each end. The lid , after moulding , would have been thin on the edges.The lid panel had been made with additional length to allow cutting off the two strips required do this. So there was no cross grain issue.
The wood is Imbuia, the inner trays Cedar from Malawi.All with dovetailed construction.
*Not a traditional/period piece, so one can get away with other ways....