PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper Gloat

John Hart
06-05-2006, 7:50 PM
Well...my moving adventure turned into an archaeological dig tonight. Evidently, we received a box from Glenn Hodges over a week ago and my wife stuck it in a pile of stuff "where I would be sure to see it" :rolleyes:

After Glenn asked if I had received the package and I got worried, I found the box in the ruins of our home.:)

If you might recall from a while back, I sent Glenn a pile of ancient Roman Coins to see if he could make some Bottle Stoppers with his Epoxy embedding technique. I feel so honored that he would send me one! Thanks Glenn! This is my first Bottle Stopper. It is Wild Plum and the coin is probably the Emperor Domitian. That's just a guess, but I feel pretty comfortable with it. So that makes the coin a little less than 2000 years old. It's probably not worth very much because I did such a lousy job removing the corrosion and scale and other deposits.

Here's a little write up:
Domitian was born in Rome on 24 October A.D. 51, the youngest son of Vespasian, Roman emperor (A.D. 69-79) and Domitilla I, a treasury clerk's daughter. Despite a literary tradition that associated Domitian with Flavian poverty, the family's status remained high throughout his early years: Vespasian was appointed to the prestigious proconsulship of North Africa in A.D. 59, and seven years later was granted a special command in the East by the emperor Nero (A.D. 54-69) to settle a revolt in Judaea; Titus, Domitian's older brother by at least ten years and Vespasian's eventual successor as emperor, had married well in the 60's and was chosen as a legionary legate under Vespasian in the East.

Thanks again Glenn. We will treasure this gift!:) :)

Blake McCully
06-05-2006, 7:59 PM
John,
Great gloat. I've recently started making bottle stoppers. I have a design stopper when it comes to those.

I like the way Glenn uses epoxy to dress up his stoppers.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2006, 8:22 PM
John..........Great gloat!

Glenn.............very, very elegant! Excellent!

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2006, 8:41 PM
Sweet Congrats! That looks cool!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-05-2006, 8:57 PM
That's gorgeous. So where did you find those coins, anyhow?

Dick Parr
06-05-2006, 9:02 PM
Very nice John, that is really cool..:cool:

Ernie Nyvall
06-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Funny, just yesterday while I was repairing broken water pipe of all things, it popped into my head "Wonder if Glenn ever got those coins from John and made bottle stoppers". No Kidding either.

Anyway, I'm glad my question was answered with a real beauty. Congrats John.

Ernie

John Hart
06-05-2006, 9:51 PM
That's gorgeous. So where did you find those coins, anyhow?

Thanks guys. I hope Glenn has as good of luck with the rest of them.

Henry, in Europe, when there is a lot of construction going on, the buldozers will uncover old roman-era ruins and people will find lots (thousands) of old coins, covered in dirt and corrosion. These piles of dirty, crusty coins make it on ebay and you can buy them in lots of 10 or 100 or more...sometimes for just 60 cents a piece. Anyway, when I hurt my neck a few years ago, I couldn't do much moving around, but I could clean coins. Over that time, I accumulated hundreds of them. I gave a bunch to the kids and other relatives and still have a bag of maybe 300 or so. I like them for their historical value.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Cool! I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Oh, BTW, anyone have any leads on old glass insulators? :)

John Miliunas
06-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Now that is an "official" gloat! Looks sweet! Great job on it, Glenn! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Congrat John..!!!! And Glenn....wonderul work and very pretty I might add. :D

Barry Stratton
06-06-2006, 3:09 AM
Great gloat John and Glenn. That generosity of yours "caught" up to you! Glenn is a amazing turner and a true gentleman!

Glenn Hodges
06-06-2006, 7:08 AM
John, glad you found it, and like it. Your picture makes my work look fairly good. Thanks for the info about the coin.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2006, 8:36 AM
Great gloat John and that is some nice work Glenn. Congrats to both.

Andy Hoyt
06-06-2006, 9:41 AM
I've always thought bottle stoppers would be fun projects.

Trouble is - everyone I know drinks too fast to warrant their use.:D

Can't help but wonder what will be said in another 2000 years when these are unearthed by some arky-ologists and they get to considering 4000 year old coins with 2000 year old stainless steel attached.

George Conklin
06-06-2006, 9:43 AM
Very cool, John. That is a nice gloat:) .

Impressive work, Glenn