PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw question

Jeff Horton
06-05-2006, 7:31 PM
My saw is now trying to cut circles. When I cut it wants wander to the right. Eventually causes the bar into a bind.

BEFORE you say one side is of the teeth are sharper than the other I tried sharpening just one side and it still did it. I ran it while and sharpened the other side and same results.

I am thinking the bar (and probably the chain) need replacing. The chain seems loose in the bar. Just curious if anyone else has run into this?

Steve Clardy
06-05-2006, 8:07 PM
Bar may be wore out. Not holding the chain snug enough.

Dick Strauss
06-05-2006, 8:23 PM
Jeff,
Did you change the chain or bar from the OEM? I hope I don't offend you but I thought I'd mention that there are different slot widths for bars and you need the right chain to fit. Does the chain seem loose from side to side in the slot only or can you pull it away from the edge of the bar in the parallel direction?

If you can't tension the bar/chain properly, it could be a worn sprocket, chain, or bar.

Try the Oregon Chains website for helpful info (I have no connection to Oregon). Here is the link:

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm

Try to give us more info so we can help....

Dick

Bill Grumbine
06-05-2006, 8:30 PM
Jeff, just to add a little to what has already been written, if the bar has slop in it, there are bar closers available which will tighten it up and extend its length. I would be surprised if you have already gotten enough hours on your bar (unless it was already used) to get that kind of slop in it though.

As has also been mentioned, there are sometimes different sizes available for the same size motor head. For example, my Stihl 026 can be configured with either a 0.325 or a 3/8 pitch. They are not interchangeable, although I could concievably put an 0.325 chain on a 3/8 pitch bar. There would be a lot of slop.

It would probably be worth your while to get the saw, bar, and chain into a reputable dealer who actually knows what he is talking about, and see if he can diagnose the saw with it in front of him. It can be tough to diagnose a problem with just a little bit of text.

Bill

Jeff Horton
06-05-2006, 9:13 PM
OK, I confess it! I am an idiot! I found it and feel stoopid!

Yes the blade was sharp. But..... :o one side was sharpened at about 35 degrees and the other side was 25 degrees. I don't know how I got this far off but I did.

I did some reading and everything I could find said it needed sharpening. So after I cooled off (and down) I went down to the shop and grabbed a loup and my file and started sharpening. I used the loup to see what I was doing and couldn't see anything wrong. When I switched the other side I found it right off the bat. Something about sitting on the ground sharpening in the field I managed to get the one side way off.

I just split a few logs and it cut straight and cut MUCH better too!

Paul Downes
06-05-2006, 9:41 PM
Jeff, Just a comment about this issue. My brother-in-law will get a saw bar that uses .058 thick drivers and when the bar gets worn somewhat he switches to a chain with .063 drivers. You get a little longer life out of a saw bar this way, and the chain is back to being somewhat tight in the bar groove.