PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "kukui" wood from Hawaii

Rob Bourgeois
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM
For a project that I mentioned to someone ( shh don't let it out of the bag yet), I am looking to acquire a few pieces of this wood. I would love to have a small bowl blank and a few pen blank from it.

The wood is called kukai or candlenut and its scientific name is Aleurites moluccana. Its found in Hawaii and my internet searches have only resulted in wooden beads available on ebay. Based on the pictures it does seem of the right size for bowls.

So any info or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Heck maybe even one of you has a hunk that you may want to part with for thw right trade. :)

/Oh and as far as the project goes...help me out and all willl be reveiled in due time. Big Mike be quiet.:D

Rob Bourgeois
06-05-2006, 9:38 PM
bump for the night crew and the after work crowd.

John Hart
06-06-2006, 7:13 AM
Hey Rob,
Ya know...since this is the Hawaii state tree, it might be hard to find harvested wood. But, according to the link below, it might be available in other countries. I'm thinking that Kukui might be the wrong search term since that's the nut. But, I'm not having much luck either. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Euphorbiaceae/Aleurites_moluccana.html

Rob Bourgeois
06-06-2006, 8:26 AM
I appreciate it John. I never knew it was the nut that was called that since my source just had it listed as the candlenut or kukui. I have contacted a Hawaiin turnign club but yet to hear back from them.