PDA

View Full Version : Gentleman's Organizer Box

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-05-2006, 10:50 AM
A good friend had me make her husband a box in which to keep the stuff we all leave on our dresser at night. I coppied a basic box I made at American Sycamore WW Retreat some time ago. It was a Frank Klausz Hand cut Dovetail class. It is made from Mahogany with dovetail corners (yes Frank I hand cut them). I added some little feet to get it up off it's bottom.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Suddeth%20Box/DSCN5621.jpg

Sorry about the Pic size/orientation. My Photoshop is on the fritz so these are straight off the camera.

I added a little removable tray with pool table green felt in the bottom of the tray and box:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Suddeth%20Box/DSCN5618.jpg

The solid brass hinges stop at about 95 degrees of opening and the lock is a Brusso brass half mortice with key hole plate from rockler.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Suddeth%20Box/DSCN5614.jpg

The finish is waterlox, 4 coats, buffed out and waxed.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Suddeth%20Box/DSCN5613.jpg

I hope he likes it!!

Thanks for lookiing!

Mac

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Very simple....very elegant! Well done Mac!

Jeff Singleton
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Fantastic looking box. I have always enjoyed working with mahogany. It's always great to make something for a friend.

Jeff Singleton

Ned Bulken
06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
wow, simply beautiful! I've been meaning to build a few of those. Have to put them on my to do list.

Jim Becker
06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Those are wonderful dovetails, Mac!! Excellent box!

Michael Stafford
06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Heirloom quality work, Mac! I love the clean lines and wonderful finish. Looks like a man's box.

John Timberlake
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Pretty box with great execution. Love the dovetails. Frank would be proud.

Mark Singer
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I really like the design and great work.....beautiful! Mahogany is difficult to dovetail well....harder woods are easier...nice dovetails too!

Dan Racette
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Very nice. excellent project to put that Klaus info to work. I hope your client is pleased.

Is that felt or flock on the inside?

d

Carl Eyman
06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I wish I may
I wish I might
Handcut dovetails
That look that tight.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-05-2006, 1:48 PM
Very nice. excellent project to put that Klaus info to work. I hope your client is pleased.

Is that felt or flock on the inside?

d

Dan that is pool table green felt from a sewing place. Frank told us how to do it while in his class. He just takes and cuts stiff non-couragated cardboard (like the backer on a writtiing tablet) to fit loose, wraps felt around it and glues it in place. I use thick doublestick tape that I use for template routing on the back of the cardboard to hold the felt in place and then more doublestick tape to hold that assembly in place in the box. Worked like a champ for me.

Mac

Floyd Rogers
06-05-2006, 1:48 PM
Love the box. Help a newbe. I do not see a seam for the top. How is it attached to the sides/front?

Gail O'Rourke
06-05-2006, 1:53 PM
Hey Mac, great job, it's a very elegant box.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-05-2006, 2:03 PM
Love the box. Help a newbe. I do not see a seam for the top. How is it attached to the sides/front?

Floyd, the top is glued to the top of the sides just like the bottom is glued. I then round over the outside edges of the top starting 1" in from the edge. Round over the top edges just right to the glueline and the line disapears in the transition from top to side. Easier on the front and back since they are both long grain. The ends are harder to hide since it's end grain to long grain.

Mac

Floyd Rogers
06-05-2006, 2:44 PM
Thanks Mac...One more question...when you say glued to the sides..Is it just grain to grain or are you using some type of joinery. Thanks again.
Floyd

Martin Shupe
06-05-2006, 5:07 PM
Mac,

That box looks wonderful. Excellent hand cut dovetails!

Zahid Naqvi
06-05-2006, 5:38 PM
Some dovetails you got there man, nice work.

Vaughn McMillan
06-05-2006, 6:14 PM
Mac, you're gonna have to start getting a bit sloppier on those dovetail, or else nobody will believe you cut them by hand. ;) Superb job on the box indeed.

- Vaughn

Jerry Strojny
06-05-2006, 6:48 PM
Handcut you say?? I couldn't do that if I used all the tricks in the book! Very cool, I like the simple design.

Jason Tuinstra
06-05-2006, 7:52 PM
Wow, great looking handcut dovetails! How timely!!! I just came inside from the garage where I was testing out the new LN saw. I wish mine were that good lookn'! Great job.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys for the kind comments! I'm not sure my ego can take anymore ........ yeah it can, continue......

Really the dovetails did come out nice. Of course I took pictures of the best ones and there are some tricks to cleaning up the inevitable little cracks. but first things first (1) practice a few times on scrap milled to match the good stock. (2) Immediately move over and cut the good stock while you still have the muscle memory (cutting the pins first of course!) I've looked for a written version of Frank's method and I found this:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DovetailDrawer0.html

You really need to see him in person or on video. (3) After you have fit the tails to the pins you can fill the minor cracks with super glue sanded in place while wet to pick up sawdust and deposit down into the cracks. For really bad cracks I cut a single thin kerf with the DT saw and then cut triangle shaped pieces to slip into the kerfs WATCHING THE GRAIN ORIENTATION!!! With a little fussing the DT's come out looking nice and tight like the picture. I actually see about 3 minor repairs on the pictured DTs!

Get Franks video and then practice it's not rocket science!

Oh and Floyd their is no jointery for the top to the sides, just glue and clamps.

Floyd Rogers
06-08-2006, 7:51 PM
Mac...thanks for the tips. I have started working on a box like yours for my Dad. It is my 1st attempt at hand cut dove tails. Not even close to yours but for a newbe I think I did pretty good. :) Still need to finish it and put on the hardware..hope I can do that.:confused: Are the hinges mortised or just attached? My camera is on the fritz hope to get it working when I finish the box.
Floyd

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2006, 8:43 PM
That is some very nice work! I think you did great!

Corey