PDA

View Full Version : Praise for Timberwolf on low power BS

glenn bradley
06-05-2006, 1:01 AM
My 12", 1HP 'home-owner' bandsaw falls quite a bit short of what most of us think of when we think BANDSAW. On reading some of the discussions at the Creek I decided to give the folks at Suffolk a call and try their Timberwolf blades.

The blades are not that much more than 'regular' blades and the service is excellent. Very knowledgable folks. I couldn't even hear them choke back a laugh when I told them what kind of saw I was using (Craftsman 12" tilt-head. $80, garage sale).

I test drove the 1/2" resaw blade and as expected it is head and shoulders above the BORG / Vermont blades (not knocking Vermont here). Following their setup instructions I can run at a lower tension and resaw without my resaw fence better than I could with it prior to the upgrade. Much smother operation. With the fence/jig it is a relative pleasure to resaw on this fairly moderate BS.

Tom Hintz
06-05-2006, 3:16 AM
Ah! Another Timberwolf convert!
I also discovered Timberwolf blades thanks to my 10" Craftsman bandsaw that refused to resaw straight no matter what I did to it. That is with the exception of putting a Timberwolf blade on it. That fixed it.
Though I now have a 14" Delta (also Timberwolf equipped exclusively) my old Craftsman is still happily doing woodwork in another shop and continues to be strung with Timberwolf blades and cutting straight.
have fun!

lou sansone
06-05-2006, 5:44 AM
I also like the timberwolf blades on my 36" Moak Bandsaw. They seem to cut great

lou

John Gregory
06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I too am another convert. I bought some 1/2" resaw blades for my underpowered Ridgid 14" bandsaw and the blades worked GREAT!

Curt Harms
06-05-2006, 2:49 PM
I've been using Timberwolf for a few years, don't do much bandsaw work. I found they would resaw straight but not all that smooth. I was tinkering and did the "tighten it til it quits vibrating" routine. I wound up with less tension that I had been using. So far the 1/2" blade cuts smoother with less tension than with more tension. Sorta counterintuitive.

Curt

glenn bradley
06-05-2006, 2:56 PM
Agreed. Despite reading the directions, I had to decidedly loosen the tension and it works just like they say. I'm sure the saw appreciates it as with 'standard 1/2" blades I had to tighten the saw as far as it would go and considered after market springs. More tension is great in some instances but the increased wear on a mid-class saw? Ouch. Much happier now.

Steve Wargo
06-05-2006, 3:35 PM
My local bandsaw blade guy uses Timberwolf blades and Starrett blades. The cost to have 145" blades made for me are about $12/ blade. Much less than purchasing the already made blades. May want to look into having them made locally and save a little $$$. Just a thought.