PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw update #4 - Set back

Jeff Horton
06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
:( Well it was going to smooth. I got the saw finished today. Everything put together and ready to hoist it in place. Plugged it up and nothing! I will skip the details but something happened to the motor. Have no idea how or why but it won't run. I guess it's going to motor shop tomorrow.

This is what I was talking about Kurt! The unexpected things.

Alan DuBoff
06-05-2006, 5:09 AM
That kinda sucks, but you're almost there. Maybe it's shorted.

Michael Gibbons
06-05-2006, 7:14 AM
Jeff, Was it running before you started the project? Have all the wires been hooked up and in their right spots? Maybe things got a little discombobulated.

Jeff Horton
06-05-2006, 8:45 AM
I went through all the trouble shooting steps and it is the motor. Was sort of hoping it was just the swtich. Then again it's an original switch and they are rare! But it's a 58 year old motor and probably never been serviced. If I did miss something simple it is bound to need new brushes and a good tune up anyway. Better now than in the middle of a big project.

tod evans
06-05-2006, 8:50 AM
jeff, did you check the switch in the back of the motor? have the motor shop show you how to if you don`t know. it`s pretty common for single phase motors to have the contactors gum up..02 tod

Jeff Horton
06-05-2006, 8:59 AM
This is one of the old bullet motors. A repulsion induction motor. I just know what little I have read about them. I pulled the inspection cover last night and took a look but didn't see anything inside obvious.

Have a question posted on OWWM and sure I will get some advice today. But I see a lot of wear on the communicator (?) where the brushes ride so it probably needs turning. Bearings sound OK but I tempted to just have them replaced, new brushes etc. I am really leaaning toward having it 'tuned up' since it is out of the machine, even if it is a minor problem.

Jeff Horton
06-05-2006, 1:32 PM
Motor shop knew about Repulsion Induction motors. Checked it over and didn't way what was wrong but said he could fix anything that was wrong with it. he was concerned about the shorting mechanism but said it seemed to be working OK. Hopelully but the weekend I will have it back.