PDA

View Full Version : Stickley Bookcase finished..

Mark Carlson
06-04-2006, 11:12 PM
finally. This is my 4th good sized project so be gentle.

The plans I bought called this the #700 bookcase. Designed by Harvey Ellis. Popular Woodworking readers will recognize it from an issue from last fall (I hope). I kept pretty much to the plans but added a door handle versus a keyhole latch. Its also about a 1/4 of inch narrower due to a goof. Oh, and I added shelves so it can be used as a CD/DVD cabinet.

A couple of firsts for me on this one include things like: using quarter sawn white oak. inset door hinges, thru mortises and a new General 650 cabinet saw:) I also bought a Festool MFT to help with the glue ups and I nerver got such flat glueups.

I struggled with the finish on this. I ended up using a General Oil based stain (cherry warm) followed with 4 coats of Generals seal a cell. The insides look weird in the picture because of the antique glass.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce Page
06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Very nice Mark but ya didn’t post enough pics! I would love to see more of this beautiful piece.
How did you cut the through mortises?
Congrats on the new 650!

David Eisenhauer
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
It looks great. You are past the point where we have to be gentle, if we think we could stand to throw rocks in a glass house. I'd like to see a little more detail on the through tenon. please.

Mark Carlson
06-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Very nice Mark but ya didn’t post enough pics! I would love to see more of this beautiful piece.
How did you cut the through mortises?
Congrats on the new 650!

Bruce, David,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. The picture I attached was the only one that looked decent. The shop was getting kinda dark.

The through motises were done with a MDF template and router. It was one of those moments where you say to yourself before taking the plunge, "dont screw this up"

Vaughn McMillan
06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Nice job, Mark. I can relate to the finish struggles. Looks like you survived the "don't screw this up" moments with flying colors. I'll be looking forward to seeing more pics when you can get them.

(I just noticed you're from Glendale...hey neighbor!)

- Vaughn

glenn bradley
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
I love the look of Mission and A&C furniture. You've done a job to be proud of. I also look forward to some more pics. Congrats.

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Very very nice! Great looking project!

Corey

Mike Cutler
06-05-2006, 5:51 AM
Very nice Mark. It looks like a Stickley 700 bookcase to me. The finish seems good from the pics, so no need to stress.

Did you do you own glasswork?

One tip for future A&C work for you, if you don't know already. Crown City Hardware, in Pasadena Ca. has a pretty extensive offering of A&C hardware, should you ever need it.

Once again. Nice work.

Jim Becker
06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Beautiful job, Mark. That's a very attractive design, too...nice!

Tyler Howell
06-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Nice Mark.
Love the leaded glass.:cool:

Mark Carlson
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Very nice Mark. It looks like a Stickley 700 bookcase to me. The finish seems good from the pics, so no need to stress.

Did you do you own glasswork?

One tip for future A&C work for you, if you don't know already. Crown City Hardware, in Pasadena Ca. has a pretty extensive offering of A&C hardware, should you ever need it.

Once again. Nice work.

Mike,

I have a local guy (Bud's Stained Glass in Burbank, CA) that does all my glass cutting.

I've been buying all my hardware online from Horten Brasses. I'll check out Crown City Hardware. Thanks for the tip.

~mark

John Timberlake
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Great looking bookcases. Nobody will notice 1/4" difference. You did a great job finishing too. Keep up the good work.

Von Bickley
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Mark,

Great job on the book case....:)

Ralph Okonieski
06-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Beautiful bookcase ! Finish looks great in the pics !

Gail O'Rourke
06-05-2006, 1:49 PM
Awesome bookcase, and your execution is excellent. I also think the finish looks great.

Nice project.

Russ Massery
06-05-2006, 9:57 PM
Mark, Most Excellent! I really like the finish too! And a Stickley design to boot. I'm currently working on a Stickley design dinning table myself.;)