PDA

View Full Version : Clear protectant for outdoor cedar?

Jeff Monson
06-04-2006, 7:57 PM
Just wondering if there is some type of clear protectant one can use for outdoor cedar? Ive used Sherwin Williams coopernal products in the past for cedar, but I've just completed some outdoor steps and was wondering it there is some type of laquer or poly that would help keep its natural look that is ok to use outside??

Steve Schoene
06-04-2006, 9:15 PM
The short answer is not really. Cedar is probably best left unfinished so it will turn to an attractive shade of grey.

Truly clear finishes that are suitable for steps don't really exist. The routine that is most likely to succeed for outdoor furniture and boat brightwork, is two coats of Smith & Co. epoxy followed by about 6 coats of a high quality marine spar varnish. The choices are: Epifanes Clear Gloss, Interlux Schooner, or Pettitt Captain's Products sold in paint stores or at big box stores are weak imitations that may not survive half as long. However, marine spar varnish is pretty soft (its a long oil formula for added flexibility) and would scuff pretty quickly, especially on a relatively soft wood like cedar.

Cetol DEK is a pretty good choice for protection, but it is not clear, it is a semi-transparent finish. It also needs periodic maintenance,--every year in full sun or every two years if there is shade. This involves a light sanding and application of an additional coat.

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 9:25 PM
Another option is exterior oil-base "deep tint" base paint...it dries clear and has UV protection...and will last longer than most other film finishes. That said, the color is still going to change.

Personally, I prefer outdoor furniture to remain unfinished and weather to that nice grey that most outdoor-compatible species does.

Gary Max
06-04-2006, 9:30 PM
Steve hit the nail right on the head when he said Not really.
I build a bunch of Cedar outdoor furniture---I may not of tried everything but my results are always the same.
Every couple of years you end up sanding and starting the whole thing over again. Sun is about the hardest thing on the finish---UV guards are a little help but the end result is the same.

Howard Acheson
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
You don't want to use any hard, glossy finish for outdoor steps. When they get wet they will be like ice. It's very dangerous.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
06-05-2006, 4:33 AM
For outdoor furniture, I tend to prefer spar varnish, but that's a bad choice for steps for the reasons mentioned (unless there's some texturing put into it, but that's no longer a lear finish).