PDA

View Full Version : Question for PM2000 owners

Mitchell Garnett
06-04-2006, 7:28 PM
Almost since I first read about it, I've wanted to buy a PM2000 to replace my aging contractors saw. I think I'll finally do it on the 15th when my local tool shop has a "sales tax" sale. Before I do, I thought I'd ask whether anyone has had second thoughts after buying one. Would anyone do anything differently if they had it to do over again?

thanks!

Mitchell

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2006, 8:33 PM
I'm one of those who almost bought the PM2000 but went elsewhere. I ended up going with Felder.

The PM was tops on my list for a while. Then after a long (more than a year) research period I got to taking the sliders seriously. It didn't take me long at all after using a couple to decide that there was a huge, quite indescribable, distinction between the high end sliders and conventional machinery.

Think of the ability to toss a 12' Sq sheet of baltic birch on a tool and cross cut it with ease - one handed even.
Or ripping a 15' length and knowing that it will be parallel and true within a thousandth of an inch just like all your other rips.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-05-2006, 9:59 AM
I have one and love it. However, my last saw was a $99 benchtop model so my standard was pretty low. I will say that I do love the riving knife and the retractable castors, the two features they're really marketing on that saw. I actually used the castors to remove the saw from the shipping pallet. Made it real easy.

If you do buy one, make sure you look for the addendum to the instructions. Apparently the original instructions said to install a longer bolt to attach the fence rail. I heard that in one instance, installing that bolt actually made the table crack. The addendum addresses this by using smaller bolt.