PDA

View Full Version : Next 2 tools (jointer/planer)

Aaron Beaver
06-04-2006, 5:23 PM
I have finally decided to put my large DC project on hold until a later date. I do have a 1hp DC with a 1 micron bag that I use and move from machine to machine so I should still be okay with that for a while.

After long thought I think the a jointer and planer would do me more good as it would allow me purchase rough lumber and save me lots of money. Right now I buy wood at the box store (poplar or red oak only), or if I wanted other wood I had to order it off the net s4s which is much more expensive than buying rough. Getting these two machines would help making projects fit together much better since everything would be square.

My question is about the jointer & planer.
I am leaning toward the 8" Powermatic Jointer - any comments on this one.

The planer I was looking at the 13" "lunchbox" type. Delta 22-580 and the Dewalt 735.

Allen Bookout
06-04-2006, 9:23 PM
Aaron,

I have the Dewalt 735 and really like it so far. Actually I got the 735R (reconditioned) from ToolKing and it was like new. I saved about a hundred bucks when the price plus local tax was compared to the ToolKing price plus $7.99 shipping. I just took a look to see if they still have them and here is the page as their site is kind of hard to find things in sometimes.

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=10001

Have not used that jointer. I have the Grizzly GO490 and think that it is really great, especially considering the price.

Allen

Al Willits
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Aaron, sounds like your about at the same stage I am, I have a few power tools but need a DC, plainer and jointer too.

fwiw, I've been giiving a lot of thought to the York 8" YC-8J8 jointer and it looks like if a decent used 15" plainer doesn't show up, the Dewaly 735 plainer.

Be interested in what you end up with and how it works for ya.

Al

Norman Hitt
06-05-2006, 4:48 AM
Aaron, there is more competition in the 8" jointer market today than ever before, and there are several very good jointers on the mkt. With that said, there sure aren't any Fly's on that 8" Powermatic jointer, ... long bed,very solid machine with good features. I've never seen a bad report from anyone that's owned one either. That was the one I had originally intended to upgrade to, (until I met those smooth salesmen from MM, ;) and fell in love with their FS-350 and decided to just bypass the * incher and go for the GUSTO with a 15 incher combo J/P).:D I sure don't think you would be unhappy with that Powermatic.

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2006, 8:20 AM
Aaron, click here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36283&highlight=planer+22-580) for a recent thread about the 22-580 and 735 planers. I went with the 735 and haven't had it long enough to give a running commentary but I have been happy with its performance.

As to jointers, you can't go wrong with the Powermatic.

Rick Gibson
06-05-2006, 8:41 AM
Aaron, I have had the 22-580 for a little over 3 years and have gone through about 6 sets of knives on mostly white oak and walnut to give you an idea of the amount of use. I've only had one problem with it when a drive belt broke but that was shipped to me in a couple days. I paid $600 Cdn for it when I bought it and have seen it on sale for half that the last few months in Canada. Can't guarantee it but the word on the Canadian forums is that since B&D now owns both Delta and Dewalt they are dumping the Delta planer. My biggest problem with it is obtaining knives for it. Home depot sold me the planer but they don't carry the knives. I usually wait for a wood show and get a couple sets from one of the Delta dealers then.

Aaron Beaver
06-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Aaron, sounds like your about at the same stage I am, I have a few power tools but need a DC, plainer and jointer too.

fwiw, I've been giiving a lot of thought to the York 8" YC-8J8 jointer and it looks like if a decent used 15" plainer doesn't show up, the Dewaly 735 plainer.

Be interested in what you end up with and how it works for ya.

Al

I looked at 15" planers, but I couldn't justify the extra $500 for 2 inches. Not right now anyway, maybe a few years down the road when I start building bigger pieces.