PDA

View Full Version : Three little ort bowls all in a row...

Michael Stafford
06-04-2006, 5:04 PM
Don't you just hate it when someone says something to you that you want to not be true and in your heart of heart you know they are going to be right.

Jim Becker said I would be turning a bunch of these and he is so right. My wife has decided that every stitcher she knows will be receiving one of these for Christmas. So here are three more in some unusual woods.

The first one is turned from a scrap of quilted bubinga sapwood. It is 1 3/4" tall and 2" in diameter. The snifter shape was interesting to turn but SWMBO didn't like it.

The second one is turned from a piece of wood that I have only previously turned as a pen. It is Pau Ferro aka Santos rosewood. What a wonderful wood to turn. It is 1 5/8" tall including the little foot and 1 7/8" in diameter.

The last one is also turned from Pau Ferro/Santos Rosewood and is 1 5/8" tall and 1 7/8" in diameter.

The last picture is of the group.

Shaddup John M., Jim K., Travis S., and anybody else that does not understand that I do not turn hollow forms.....:o :p :D

Lee DeRaud
06-04-2006, 5:13 PM
Look like bowls to me...when are you going to add the collars? :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2006, 5:20 PM
Big Mike.........great forms and gorgeous woods!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-04-2006, 5:44 PM
Michael, you could do a lot worse than turning these. They are great!!:D

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2006, 5:51 PM
Very cool Mike, some very cool little bowls. I am sure the ladies will love them!

Corey

Travis Stinson
06-04-2006, 5:56 PM
Wonderful mini hollow for..............errr, ort bowls.;)
That Bubinga will knock your socks off!:D

Jim Ketron
06-04-2006, 6:28 PM
Nice HOLLOW FORMS Mike!

Ernie Nyvall
06-04-2006, 6:28 PM
Man that bubinga is some pretty wood. Nice job Big Mike.

Ernie

Keith Burns
06-04-2006, 7:23 PM
Spectacular Hollowforms Mr. Big Mike Boxmaster HF Master sir !!:)

John Miliunas
06-04-2006, 7:32 PM
Hmmmm....If it looks like a hollow form, is shaped like a hollow form and follows the principals of making a hollow form, then I guess, it must be an ort!!! :D Great job on the holl.....ahhhh....orts, Mike! Bet there will be a LOT of real happy ladies! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 9:22 PM
Those are really lovely, Mike. The awesome wood really lends itself to these simple forms...and it's a great way to use some of those smaller chunks of expensive that just don't want to be wasted! Great job! BTW, these still have the "Big Mike" look to them! Your style is distinctive.

John Timberlake
06-04-2006, 9:29 PM
Really nice. Like the second one best, but they are all pretty. Never seen a piece of bubinga sapwood that big, much less curly like that. Very interesting grain. Keep them coming.

Barry Stratton
06-04-2006, 9:50 PM
Outstanding unlidded box things! They are all superb, but that curly bubinga sap really catches my eye.

Curt Fuller
06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Those are all pretty. I might have to start collection orts just to have a reason to make one of those.

Mark Cothren
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Nice hollow forms, Mike... you are becoming quite an accomplished hollower of forms. You're my hollowin' hero, dude...

Andy Hoyt
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
An ort form by any other name is still an art form.

And a Hollow Form

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Big Mike they are outstanding. I like the wood on all. The finish looks great. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Very nice Big Mike.....you're getting the hang of all this HF work on the lathe!!!! You go Dude!!!!!:D

John Hart
06-05-2006, 7:03 AM
Down in the Hollow where I grew up, you could hear the Hollow sound of woodpeckers early on Holloween morning. The memories of the smell of the leaves and the crisp air has left a Hollow feeling inside me...Thinking of home.

Oh....and....Very nice non-HollowForm Ort Bowls Big Mike!!!;) :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-05-2006, 9:44 AM
Man, Mike, those sure are pretty. I'm sure they'll be very greatly appreciated.

Tom Sherman
06-06-2006, 5:22 PM
Yeah I got to agree those forms are something alright and I do believe I noticed a hole in the top of them, according to my notes that qualifyies as a hollow form. Great work Mike.

Ned Bulken
06-06-2006, 6:05 PM
Down in the Hollow where I grew up, you could hear the Hollow sound of woodpeckers early on Holloween morning. The memories of the smell of the leaves and the crisp air has left a Hollow feeling inside me...Thinking of home.

Oh....and....Very nice non-HollowForm Ort Bowls Big Mike!!!;) :)

yaknow john, this whole post has a Hollow ring to it. ;) (hey, somebody had to say it)

Joe Melton
06-06-2006, 6:24 PM
Very ortful. What will you do with all the brownie points you're accumulating?
Joe

Ed Scolforo
06-06-2006, 6:38 PM
Mike, you ort to be happy that these beautiful forms are not hollow! I especially like the quilted piece.
Ed