PDA

View Full Version : mail/letter box

Zahid Naqvi
06-04-2006, 2:07 PM
This started as stationary box for the kids, to put on the dining/study/do-it-all table. But the boss lady liked it and asked me to forget the dividers and make it open on the inside to hold mail/letters etc.

Lacewood box, with curly maple top and Cherry handle. The handle was hand shaped (as is evident from the asymmetric side view) with sandpaper and microplane. Finish is two coats of the witch's brew and one coat of paste wax.

The finger joints are handcut. Some of the fingers were not real snug and were showing gaps. So I made saw cuts on all mating fingers and inserted maple strips, as you can see it didn't come out perfect, i.e. some gaps were bigger than the others. The four dowels at the bottom of the lid are for keeping it snug on top.

Maurice Metzger
06-04-2006, 3:04 PM
Looks great Zahid! Curly maple is always a crowd pleaser IMHO. How did you do the raised panel on the top?

Maurice

Zahid Naqvi
06-04-2006, 3:13 PM
Table saw, I am sure you are familiar with the technique. Basically you clamp a piece of lumber diagonally across the center of you blade and slide the work piece across it. Raising the blade slightly after each pass. This creates a slight curve in the raised pannel, as opposed to the usual streight incline. You can control the degree of the curve by the angle of the cross lumber/fence

Looks great Zahid! Curly maple is always a crowd pleaser IMHO. How did you do the raised panel on the top?

Maurice

Vaughn McMillan
06-04-2006, 3:39 PM
Nice job Zadid. I really like both the lacewood and the maple. Your fix for the finger joints is a literal example of "thinking outside the box".

- Vaughn

Maurice Metzger
06-04-2006, 7:24 PM
Table saw, I am sure you are familiar with the technique.

Zahid, to be honest, I wouldn't even know how to turn one on. But it sounds like a good technique, and the results speak for themselves. Always enjoy seeing someone getting the most out of a tool, whatever the tool is.

Maurice

Nissim Avrahami
06-05-2006, 6:43 AM
It looks glorious Zahid.

Thanks for the tip on the raised panel.

niki