PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Octagonal Poker Table *pics*

Fred Woodward
06-04-2006, 1:14 PM
First project I've posted here.
It's not new, I finished it last September. Made from some old and very weathered rough walnut that my dad had behind his shop for a few years. (It cleaned up pretty well.)
Pedestal base design was copied from a FWW article Jan-Mar '05.
Not shown in the pic is the drawer for 500 chips and cards etc. Playing surface is graphic image I made with Photoshop and had applied to polyester cloth with dye sublimation process. Inlay was my first attempt at making inlay. Lots of work with limited tools and learn as you go but turned out pretty well IMHO.

I'm new to the forum but plan to be around for awhile. This is the best woodworking forum I've found yet. Thanks in advance for all that post here with great information and willingness to help others.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/fishinnut50/Final-Table.gif

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 1:40 PM
Beautiful job, Fred!! Looks comfortable to sit at for a long time, too...

Helen Gee
06-04-2006, 1:47 PM
Fred, that is an awesome looking table! The is cool how you transferred the pattern through dye sublimination!!!

Marty Walsh
06-04-2006, 1:52 PM
Great looking table Fred! How about some better pictures of the top, showing the details?

Oh, and welcome to the creek...

- Marty -

Floyd Rogers
06-04-2006, 2:27 PM
I would love to set at that table and play cards. On second thought I would not pay attention to the game while looking at that great table.

Floyd

Fred Woodward
06-04-2006, 3:02 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/fishinnut50/Pedestal.jpgI have lots of pics of the table. Not sure which details you're interested in. The inlay is walnut, purpleheart, maple and padauk. The black and red separation lines in the top are colored epoxy. The walnut on the table surface is 1/8" thick laminations I cut on my Rikon 14" bandsaw. Substrate is 3/4" birch plywood.
The padded playing surface is on 1/2" MDF, 1/4" Volara closed cell foam. MDF is sealed with poly on all surfaces. The playing surface is held in with 3/4" rare earth magnets so it is removable for cleaning or replacing the cloth, etc.
Pedestal base is solid wood. Pedestal column is 1/8" laminations on 3/4" birch, hexagonal and tapers ~ 1 1/2" bottom to top.
Table is 54" across the flats before the padded rail is added. Finished size is about 57" across the flats with the rail. Table height is 30" at the playing surface.http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/fishinnut50/IM003270.jpg

tod evans
06-04-2006, 3:11 PM
welcome fred! cool table.

Marty Walsh
06-04-2006, 3:13 PM
WOW! That's the shot I wanted to see! That is GORGEOUS! Really nice work! Great inlay, and I really like that center!

Thanks...
- Marty -

Vaughn McMillan
06-04-2006, 3:32 PM
Very nicely done. Fred. The dyed pattern on the tabletop is a nice touch, and the whole thing looks to be very nicely executed.

You obviously know the vest way to introduce yourself to the crowd here (pics, pics, and more pics). Welcome to the Creek!

- Vaughn

Matthew Dworman
06-04-2006, 3:42 PM
WOW! That is the nicest one I have ever seen! Great Work

Fred Woodward
06-04-2006, 5:42 PM
Thanks very much for the compliments. It's always nice to get compliments from your peers. Constructive criticism is appreciated here too.

The table plays great though I don't get to win on it often enough. :D

Sorry for the pictures being so large. I'll work on my presentation.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2006, 5:53 PM
Boy Fred! Where do I start? Stunning table.........absolutely stunning! Welcome to the Creek! Keep wading .........you'll find the water's fine! You sure know how to make your first splash! Photo cops satisfied and the art critics satisfied too! Again......Welcome to the Creek and absolutely stunning table!

Corey Hallagan
06-04-2006, 5:57 PM
WOW!! That is awesome. Man the Fred's here sure know how to build poker tables!

Corey

Michael Stafford
06-04-2006, 5:59 PM
Most excellent work, Fred! I would be honored to sit at that table and lose my money................:o :D

Von Bickley
06-04-2006, 9:15 PM
Fred,

Welcome to SMC...

That is one GREAT looking table.

John Timberlake
06-04-2006, 9:45 PM
Great table. Please don't show it to my son. He already wants a bed. But he would love one half as nice as this one. Keep up the good work and more pictures.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-05-2006, 7:26 AM
Boy 0h Boy, that looks fabulous! You may be new to Saw Mill Creek, but you're certainly not new to woodworking! Very creative design too.

If you play poker as good as you woodwork, I'd be afraid to sit down with you. :)
-Jeff

Charles Bruno
06-05-2006, 8:42 AM
That is one nice looking poker table Fred! The walnut is beautifull and the inlay looks flawless. Good job!

Welcome to the creek. You are correct, this is the best wood working forum on the net.
Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Strojny
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I am speechless.......absolutely amazing!

And welcome to the creek!

Gail O'Rourke
06-05-2006, 1:52 PM
Boy, would my husband love that table as a father's day gift!! It came out great, have you used it yet?

Welcome, and this is a great project, you should be proud. Love the inlay and the center piece, it's a nice touch.