PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edges Recommendations

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Okay.........Tony Sizemore's thread on Hollow Forms is getting some good replies so I thought I'd throw up a thread on NEs.

Do you turn your NE to finish green?

Do you turn your NE to a rough size and then boil it, DNA it, let it dry naturally?

IF you turn it to finished size Green....when do you finish it and what do you use?

I've got some green sealed peach I'm dying to use for an NE but various readings I've done have different methods........HELP!

Joe Fisher
06-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I've done both, and my preference is to finish turn green to a fairly thin wall (3/16" - 1/4"). I then let it dry naturally for a day or two (won't take long at this thickness). I finish with a homemade Danish oil (BLO + MS + satin poly) and the Beall system.

-Joe

Curt Fuller
06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
I've had my best luck keeping the bark attached when they're turned green. As the wood dries it seems like the first thing that happens is the bark starts to separate. I usually drip a small bead of thin CA glue along the seam between bark and wood to help it stay on.

Jim Ketron
06-04-2006, 6:32 PM
I DNA my NE bowls!

John Hart
06-05-2006, 6:52 AM
I've done both and I guess I prefer drying the piece....not because of the movement so much....but because of the finish. Finishing a green piece tends to result in a rough surface after a few weeks and then I have to finish it again.

Mark Cothren
06-05-2006, 9:15 AM
Ditto what Jim K said...