PDA

View Full Version : General Bandsaw 690-1

Nate Rogers
06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Everyone,
I have a chance to purchase a very slightly used General bandsaw 690-1. I have been doing some research on this saw and it looks to be put together pretty well, the thing is entirely cast iron...And from what I can tell it is made in Canada, which is a whole lot better than china..However I am wondering about it's performance, especially when it comes to quality of cut on resawing..I do a lot of bentwood laminations, and this would be a major upgrade over my POS..Does anyone own this or it's little brother the 490-1..Any info would be appreciated..
Nate

http://www.general.ca/machines/gen/bandsaws/g_4901.jpg

Peter Mc Mahon
06-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't own one but I have had the chance to use one several times. This thing is a tank. I would not hesitate for a second to buy one. Resawing [10"wide cherry into 1/8 veneer] was a breeze. The guy had a shop made resaw fence. As with I think all General machinery, it may not look too fancy but it is made to last a lifetime. Peter

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2006, 10:52 AM
General has the formula right especially for supremely low tech things like lathes, conventional table saws, bandsaws and mortisers. Heavier is better and the design tends toward the very practical.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I would love to find one of these used.

mike

John Bailey
06-04-2006, 4:25 PM
Where is it and let me know if you don't get it. Vermont seems like a nice place to visit!!

John

Nate Rogers
06-04-2006, 7:42 PM
Gents,
Thanks for the feedback, you have re-affirmed my feelings towards this machine..I let you know if I end up with the beast..

Nate