PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 12 inch non-slider miter saw

Louis Brandt
06-04-2006, 9:06 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, and I'm in the market for a 12 inch non-slider miter saw. I don't need a slider, because I have a RAS for long crosscuts. I've been looking at both the DeWalt DW715 and the Delta 36-322L. My local stores don't carry Makita or Bosch saws in 12 inch, and I'd rather not have to order sight unseen, so I'd like to stay with what I can see first hand.
Someone told me that the DeWalt, with its new push-down lever instead of a knob, allows the saw to move after it's been set, but when I tested one at Lowe's, it seemed to stay in place very well. And someone told me that the cutting slot on the Delta, which is very narrow compared to the DeWalt, is good because the narrow slot prevents blowout on the bottom of the piece being cut.
Being a novice when it comes to miter saws, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used either of these and has an opinion as to its quality and accuracy.
Louis

Matt Meiser
06-04-2006, 9:13 AM
I have a 12" Porter Cable which has been good. If I was going to buy a new one, I'd probably get the 12" Delta that is identical to my current one, but with the laser.

JayStPeter
06-04-2006, 9:35 AM
I have the Delta twin-laser saw. I wouldn't buy it again. The fence likes to "self adjust" (based on temp/humidity I think) and there is some slop in the mechanism itself.

Jay

Matt Meiser
06-04-2006, 9:38 AM
I have the Delta twin-laser saw. I wouldn't buy it again. The fence likes to "self adjust" (based on temp/humidity I think) and there is some slop in the mechanism itself.

Jay

Sounds like they've made some "improvements". :(

Scott Vigder
06-04-2006, 9:47 AM
Don't be mesmerized by the laser capability of saws: the saw dust tends to obscure the beam after a relativley short time, so if you are making numerous repetitive cuts you'll spend as much time cleaning off the laser lens as you would cutting wood. In March I bought a 12" Metabo DC sliding miter saw, and it has effectively replaced my RAS completely. In my two years of being a woodworking hobbyist, I can't think of a single time I cut a board larger than 12" wide. That said (I build mostly tables, chairs, bookcases) I recently bought an 8" jointer, furthering my dedication to boards smaller than 12". For me, the chop action of the Metabo is far superior to RAS, and the fact you make the cut while pushing the blade away from you vs. pulling the RAS blade towards you is a nice safety feature.
Hope this helps!

Bob Childress
06-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I have the DeWalt 708 slider, and I have been real pleased with its performance. No reason a non-slider wouldn't be good as well.

I agree with Scott, lasers are just so-so.:rolleyes:

JayStPeter
06-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't be mesmerized by the laser capability of saws: the saw dust tends to obscure the beam after a relativley short time, so if you are making numerous repetitive cuts you'll spend as much time cleaning off the laser lens as you would cutting wood.

I both agree and disagree. The lasers are good for construction type work. I really used it when building my deck to align the 20'ers I was cutting. But, they aren't a good reason to buy a saw. They can't be counted on for the tolerances I demand building furniture. I would rather have a better quality saw with no lasers.
In two years and many hundreds of cuts, I've never had sawdust obscure the beams. I was initially concerned since they shine through the plexiglass blade guard, but that has even proven not to be a problem. I do have the saw hooked up to dust collection most of the time.

Sounds like they've made some "improvements". :(

I'm guessing it's at least partially a quality control issue as past mentions have had mixed response from other owners. At least one magazine comparison test ranked the cut quality pretty low. I agree as I got better cut quality out of my $79 cheapo 10" saw (also a Delta). I have found that if I hold the handle and twist a little that I can get reasonably clean cuts, but I still ocassionally forget to do so and get a little extra tearout. That's why I think there is some play in the mechanisms. I have tried to tighten all the bolts to no avail. It's not a terrible saw, I just think there are better saws in the class and price range.

Jay

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 10:41 AM

My older Delta 12" has the same issues...and I don't use it for anything critical for that reason...

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I've had a 10" non slider for over 16 years. It's solid as a rock.

Gary Sostrin
06-04-2006, 11:17 AM
The cost of a 12 inch blade compared to a ten inch is high. A friend of mine bought a 12 inch fixed miter saw and when he wanted to get another blade he was shocked by the cost. I have a pm66 , makita 10 inch slide and a old sears RAS that all use the same blades.

Gary

Dave Falkenstein
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm very happy with my 12" Dewalt CMS. I have had it for several years, so I cannot comment on the newer model. As for blade cost, if you buy the Dewalt blades the cost is reasonable. If you need a high quality finish blade, like a Forrest Chopmaster, then the cost is rather steep. Then again, high quality blades are not inexpensive in any blade size.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a DeWalt 705 CMS, with a full kerf blade. The thin kerf blades tend to deflect under load in my opinion and affect the quality/accuracy of the cut.
The thin kerf DeWalt 12" blades are "OK", but you'll be a lot happier with a full kerf, especially with hardwoods.

Phil Phelps
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Jay
...after the thieves had taken both Makita chop saws in separate burglaries, I bought a Delta chop saw. Spent ions trying to square the fence. Even had 'em order a new fence. Never got it right. I was so frustrated, I threatened to take a magic marker with me to the Borg and write on all the Delta chop saws, "almost 90 degrees". I take it they still are.

lou sansone
06-04-2006, 1:26 PM
I have had a dewalt for many years and use it for all levels of ww and construction. always dead nuts

lou

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 1:40 PM
I have a pm66 , makita 10 inch slide and a old sears RAS that all use the same blades.

Table saw blades should never be used on a RAS or CMS/SCMS. They can be dangerous. TS blades are too aggressive which can cause "climbing". Negative hook angle blades designed for RAS and CMS/SCMS are less likely to have this dangerous attribute.

Gary Sostrin
06-04-2006, 5:04 PM
Does this mean that it is not safe to move my laminate blade on my table saw to my miter saw for cutting laminate flooring?

Thanks

Gary

JayStPeter
06-04-2006, 9:00 PM
...after the thieves had taken both Makita chop saws in separate burglaries, I bought a Delta chop saw. Spent ions trying to square the fence. Even had 'em order a new fence. Never got it right. I was so frustrated, I threatened to take a magic marker with me to the Borg and write on all the Delta chop saws, "almost 90 degrees". I take it they still are.

My 10" Delta was quite a solid little saw. I don't think there is any design consistency in the Delta lineup though.

Jim Becker
06-04-2006, 9:06 PM
Does this mean that it is not safe to move my laminate blade on my table saw to my miter saw for cutting laminate flooring?

"Technically" no...unless the blade has a negative hook angle. Some laminate blades do to reduce chip-out. Check the specifications of your particular blade.

Ben Grunow
06-04-2006, 9:14 PM
I have both 12" dewalt saws (slider and non) and they are durable and powerful. On the job the non-slider is preferred when careful cutting is required because it is so accurate and always square. The only drawback is that when making scarf joints or miters on base board (or any board wider than 1x6 which fits in the saw standing up) the saw tends to bog slightly but the cut is always straight and square-maybe the stock dewalt blades we use but I don't know. BTW the lever that locks the deck in place (when cutting at angles other than the detents) is very easily adjustable and requires adjustment periodically as the saw is moved quite frequently. I have this saw in my shop as well. I think it is the best because it has the highest fences on both sides of the blade (IMHO of course). Good luck.